What's new

Dumb question: Is there a big difference in going from the Energy e:XL 16 to e:XL 26? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
First of all, I realize that I will have to listen to speakers to make a judgment, but please allow me to discuss the matter here anyway. :)
I am continuing to consider upgrade options from my Energy e:XL 16 bookshelf speakers, which I use as mains in my home theater. They are a very good speakers, but as a bookshelf, they do struggle with the bass a bit, as they are only rated down to 50 Hz. 50 Hz isn't bad for a bookshelf, but it's a high cut-off in the grand scheme of things. Now, I have no issues with the e:XL 16s for home theater since I have a sub and apply appropriate bass management. The interest here is in better speakers for music without spending too much at this point in time. Initially, I considered getting a separate pair of speakers for music, which would open me up to a number of different brands since timbre-matching with the rest of my Energy surround-sound set-up would not be relevant. That seems like a smart approach. However, maybe I could kill two birds with one stone by sticking with the Energy e:XL line.
Energy e:XL 26 floorstanders go for only $750 a pair. I like the sound of my e:XL 16s, except that the bass can be boomy with music at times, which isn't surprising for a bookshelf speaker only rated down to 50 Hz. By comparison, the e:XL 26s go down to 27 Hz. As a result, I would expect the e:XL 26 to be a pleasing speaker with better bass than the e:XL 16s. Has anyone compared the e:XL 16s to the e:XL 26s for music? Is there a significant difference in performance? I presume there would be. The improvements probably would not be limited to the bass.
The e:XL 26s could replace the e:XL 16s in my home theater since they would be timbre-matched with the rest of my Energy set-up. That's a nice thought. Also, I use a pair of e:XL 16s in a stereo system in another room. At $750 for a pair, I could consider upgrading to e:XL 26s for that system too down the line.
I realize that I should listen to other speakers in addition to the e:XL 26s, but given that I like the Energy sound, the e:XL 26s are relatively inexpensive, and they would be timbre-matched with my remaining home theater set-up, they might make a lot of sense for me. Again, I am looking for people with first-hand experience comparing the e:XL 16s and e:XL 26s.
Thanks for reading.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
[Edited last by KeithH on August 10, 2001 at 10:05 AM]

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Well as someone that also happens to like Energy's sound I will readily admit that I'm not a big fan of the ex:L's. IMO the conniseaur line up sounds much better esp on music then the ex's do. For about the same price as the 26's are going for you might also consider the Audysis 2+2's. These speakers really shine on both HT and music. I'd also suggest you upgrade your centre to the AC300 at some point but you wouldn't have to do that right away just something to keep in mind for the future.
------------------
http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

Brian_J

Second Unit
Yeah, I understand that center speaker is one of the best out there from any manufacturer.
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Andrew, thanks for the input. For the price, I like the e:XL series, but I realize that Energy has better lines. Bear in mind that the Connoiseur and Audissey series have been discontinued. Energy now has the Veritas line, which I have read very good things about. Anyway, I am heading to a local Energy dealer tomorrow to see what they have. They also sell B&W.
------------------
My:

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
If your budget is $750 and you're looking to improve music performance, I'd get a second pair of speakers. That way, you're not restricted by the timbre-matching issue. For $750, I think you can do better than Energy, especially if you're willing to buy used.
Note, I've never heard any Energy speakers, or anything else in that price range, so my statement isn't from first-hand experience. Which probably means it's worth next to nothing at all :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Saurav, certainly, I should look at other speakers besides Energys. If I could find something I really like for $750, that would be great at this point, but I can spend more if "necessary".
------------------
My:

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Could you get used full-range speakers by B&W in that price range? I don't know how Energy compares with Paradigm/NHT/PSB... and even if say Paradigms are a little better, there's a good chance the difference wouldn't be large enough to justify the purchase. Also, I don't know if you're interested in planar speakers, I know there are Magnepan speakers in that price range. That's going to be my next purchase, after I've got myself a decent turntable.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Saurav, anything is a reasonable suggestion at this point (except Bose and KLH :)). When I hit a couple stores tomorrow, it's possible that I will see some used speakers available for cheap. You never know. As for Maggies, I don't really have the room for them, I'm afraid. Well, I suppose I could rearrange the room a bit (the room is rather large), but I am afraid the speakers would take up too much space.
------------------
My:

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
That's the advantage of having no social life... I can dream of Maggies in my living room :) You might want to investigate the MG12, if you're curious... I don't think they're 7' tall by 5' wide or anything.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Saurav, I'll consider the Maggies you suggested. I'm not sure if there are any Maggie dealers in my area. There must be a dealer somewhere around here. Anyway, I don't think my girlfriend would appreciate speakers that are bigger than she is. I'm sure she would consider that excessive. :)
------------------
My:

Haywood

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Keith I think that the XL 26 would be a good upgrade. If you already like the sound of the e:XL series why switch. The XL 16's do a pretty good job with music so naturally if you move to the XL 26 which has two of the same woofers in one enclosure you should get a much fuller sound. You would still be matched for HT as well. I listened to a pair of XL 26 'S the other day and they sound really good. But if you do get them make sure you put a good power supply behind them. Heres the a link to the XL-26 home page it might help.
http://www.energy-speakers.com/exl/exl_speakers_26.html
------------------
Link Removed

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Anyway, I don't think my girlfriend would appreciate speakers that are bigger than she is. I'm sure she would consider that excessive.
LOL!!! That's a very good point, and I'll make sure I keep that in mind when I upgrade my speakers :)

Brian_J

Second Unit
It's amazing how similar Mirage lines and Energy lines actually are (Yes, I know they have the same parent company). That picture above looks almost exactly like the Mirage FRX-7,9. Their subs look exactly like the Mirage subs, etc. And, I have never found a dealer who carries both so I wonder how close they sound. I happen to be a Mirage guy and had the FRX-7's for a while and really liked them. I ended up moving up to OM-10's which are omnipolar. The Audissy series looks similar. If you get the chance you might look at some Mirage speakers. I'd love to hear your thoughts on how they sounded similr/different from Energy.
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...

Larry Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
Brian, it's interesting that you would mention the similarity in the two lines. When I was looking for a speaker upgrade for my stereo system, I compared the Energy XL and the Mirage Frx lines. It was not really a fair comparison, since I had to go to two different stores on two different evenings to audition them, but I took the same cd's and tried to get a feel for the two products. I decided to go with the Mirage instead of the Energy. The Energy line looks great, but I found the Mirage a bit more laid back, which appealed to me, especially for music.
Larry.

Rob Peloski

Agent
This is slightly off topic but I think is worth mentioning.
Mirage and Energy are made by the same manufacturer (Audio Products International aka API)
They also make Sound Dynamics and Athenas (I have some Athenas and am quite happy with them)
I came across this info when I found a link to a "tour" of API (http://www.soundstagelive.com/factorytours/api/)

Ed C

Stunt Coordinator
I think it's important to point out that the e:XL26 are avaialble for between CDN$700 and CDN$800 which would be between US$450 and US$520 for a pair.
Just trying to make sure we compare apples with apples.
Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks