What's new

Dumb question but how do I properly clean off an LCD screen? (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I just got a 27" Sony WS HDTV with an LCD screen and I had used a microfiber cloth to dust it but what about when it actually *needs* to be cleaned? Smoke build-up, whatever. What and how do I clean off the LCD screen?

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Here´s google-search, you probably find plenty of info there:
"clean + LCD" - Google-haku

I believe there are special "cleaning kits" and such. I use only microfiber cloth to wipe of the dust. Haven´t used any water yet..

Best advice is to teach the kids (own, relatives, etc) NOT to touch the LCD-screen. It´s "nr.1 rule" in my house when it comes to LCD. "Look, but don´t touch" ;) It´s not glass (which you can easily clean).

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Absolutely DO NOT clean with an ammonia-based cleaner (Windex, etc...). This will damage the outer layer of the screen. I use plain tap water (distilled is preferred) and a damp diaper-soft mocrofiber cloth when necessary.

AceMcSmooth

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
Also, if your going to use a liquid (water, or non-alcohol, non-ammonia cleaner) wait for the screen to cool after use, don't clean a warm screen.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Ok so basically;

dust it off with a microfiber cloth

clean it with distilled water (I bought a jug that is labelled "distilled" so I would assume that's it) using a microfiber cloth. don't clean until it's cooled off and wait for it to dry completely before turning it back on.

that about it?

Chididdy123

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter
i would just buy a solution from the manufacturer.. i got a phillips solution for my phjillips lcd

Nophix

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob Milton
I've found the Unscented Parent's Choice baby wipes from Wal Mart are very similar to the "cleansing clothes" that I bougth costing far more. They are non-detergent, non-perfumed, and very sensitive. Basically it's a very mild soap and distilled water. I usually follow that with a wipe-down with a micro-fiber cloth to wipe off the little smudges so common in a home with young children, and it seems to work great. I haven't noticed any issues with our LCD from it, and I've been doing it almost daily for months. God, having young kids is hard on equipment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samtbax
Recent bookmarks