Dumb question: Are most albums today PCM (digital) recordings?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, May 1, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I just picked up the Celine Dion A New Day Has Come CD yesterday. While I like the music, it sounds to my ears like it is a PCM (digital) recording. On my better, more revealing system, I can hear the grit in Dion's voice that is typical of a PCM recording. I also have the SACD, and the vocals are smoothed out a bit, but the grit is still there. I hear this grit in a lot of pop/rock recordings from the '80s on. Are most recordings today PCM? Does anyone do analog recordings anymore? I know that DSD recordings are still rare, so I figure most recordings are done in PCM. If so, that is unfortunate. [​IMG]

2. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Neil Young still hates Digital, and prefers to record analogue. Looks like someone's keeping Ampex in business...[​IMG]

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Most stuff these days is done at 96/24 on digital equipment. There are some analog fans of course, but most stuff is tracked in Protools on Macs.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Keith and Philip, thanks for the info. I figured most recording were done in PCM. I'm sure the Celine Dion recording was. I wonder what Celine Dion would say of the sound of her voice on the CD. If she cares at all, I'm sure she would be pi$$ed by what she heard.

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Yep, as Phil said 90% of major records are tracked into Protools. There are a handful of good studios with nice 2 inch 24 track machines- but the ease of editing and speed of use has made protools the tool of choice.
    Most records over the past few years have tracked to pro tools 24 systems (24/96), although the new Protools HD system is really catching on (192k system).
    I'm actually about to buy my first protools system- so I guess I'll be tracking Celine's next record [​IMG]
    -Vince