Dumb question about DTS compatibility.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Anderson, Jun 22, 2001.

1. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I have a GE 1105p DVD player, which is cheaper than all hell but it works fine for me for now. I'm currently using a JVC VBK-778 receiver with it, which doesn't have a DTS decoder built in. On Monday, I'm ordering an Onkyo TX-DS595, primarily so I'll have DTS and DPL-II.
    It occurred to me that I don't know if this player can even pass a DTS signal. I learned that there were two revisions of this player, one of which could pass DTS and one which couldn't, and there are no distinguishing marks to identify which is which. So I threw in my X-FILES DTS disc tonight and turned off my receiver, then selected the DTS track and let it play. When I hit the AUDIO button on my dvd's remote, the GE pops up the words "ENG DTS 5.1".
    My question is this: Is this label just being displayed because it's authored on the disc that way or is the player recognizing the bitstream and creating the label?

2. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    The DVD player is recognising the DTS data, which means it is DTS compatible. If it wasn't, it wouldn't have allowed you to switch to the DTS soundtrack.
    You should be set for DTS once your Onkyo receiver arrives. Enjoy!
    Adam

3. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Good question, I do believe that you're player would indicate 'English DTS 5.1' on the screen display even if the player is not DTS capable, after all it's just displaying what is encoded on the disc, it can say that but you may not get any sound if you'r player does'nt support DTS, DTS can't downmix to 2.0 Dolby Surround like DD does.
    If you're player does'nt have the DTS logo on it anywhere and it's not covered in you're instruction manual, it's probably a Dolby Digital only player like some of the first players introduced were back in 97. I guess you'll find out when you get that Onkyo up and running. Good Luck.
    ------------------
    No Soup For You!

4. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I'm not sure about that John. It would be unusual for a player to recognize that a DTS signal is in fact a DTS signal and yet be unable to output it. Older players that don't output DTS don't even know what DTS is.

5. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

It seems to be reading the DTS flag, so my bet's on the fact that it will send the bitstream to your new receiver.
    Please let us know what you find out.
    Dan