Dumb Newbie question about banana plug usage

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by cacu, Jun 26, 2003.

1. cacu

cacu Stunt Coordinator

2. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

Hi,
    Not sure if I understand what you are trying to connect. The link shows pin connectors. These are designed to connect wires to push-button type spring terminals. Banana plugs are larger and would fit into a five-way binding post.

3. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Like James said - these are banana plugs - and darned good ones, too, and cheap.

4. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

Hey alan.
    Those are what I use for my center channel. I was going to look for a picture for cacu, but did'nt have time, thanx.
    James

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

When you use banana plugs, there is now an additional joint in every connection, from the speaker wire to the plug, as well as from the plug to the terminal or jack. This joint, if not soldered, is one more joint that can oxidize or become loose.

If you can connect the speaker wires firmly and directly to the terminals without having stray strands of wire pointing elsewhere and possibly causing short circuits, you are better off not using banana plugs.

Exception, if you disconnect and reconnect things frequently such as when transporting equipment to different sites for gigs, etc., banana plugs are very convenient.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm