(dumb me) win xp task bar is fat help!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Eric_L, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

My 2 yr old dauhter did something to my desktop and now my win XP taskbar is double thick. The System tray has the icons stacked 3 wide and 3 high. Time - Day- and date are displayed one atop the other three high also. I've tried everything and I cannot get the taskbar back down to one thick. Anyone able to help?

I fell like such a 'tard.

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

You should be able to drag it back down again. Make sure the 'Lock the taskbar' option isn't ticked when you right-click over it.

3. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Believe me - I tried that many times already. Lock is not checked, and when I try to drag it down it will only go to the bottom of the screen (completely gone) or double - nothing in the middle. I suspect it has something to do with my system tray icons being squeezed together,(3X3) but I can't figure out what to do.

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Prnt Screen your desktop and let us have a look. Try dragging it over to the left or right, then back down again.

5. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Something similar happened to me and I finally found a nearly transparent line of a movable section of the toolbar. When I slid that over to the middle, the toolbar switched back to normal. I don't know what I did to mess it up in the first place, but it frustrated me for about an hour.

6. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Just a thought as this has never happened to me, but would booting into "safe mode" allow you to fix the problem and adjust the tool bar?

Charles

7. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Scott - I'd post a screenshot, but I don't know how to post images here. Wouldn't mind learning butt...

No more need. I found that line chris mentioned. It fixed everything. It was not the taskbar nor the systray, it was the quick launch icons.

Thanks everyone for tolerating my ignorance. [​IMG]

8. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Glad you were able to fix it--I know how you felt!