Dumb mathematician's question.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BobHaymond, Apr 16, 2002.

1. BobHaymond

BobHaymond Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG] It probably takes a mathematician to get into this hole but have to make sure on what is right and what is left? Me and my builder decided very early on that L/C/R were determined as I look at the TV. This was important as we are remodeling the room BEHIND the HT as well--at which point, wires etc for R/L reverse. Now it just occurred to me today that the same applies to surround and rear speakers. Is the "left surround" on the same side of the room as the L speaker?
    C
    L TV R
    LS RS
    LR RR
    Does it make any difference?
    PS Dumb and mathematician may well be redundant.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. BobHaymond

BobHaymond Stunt Coordinator

It took my spaces out of my diagram?

3. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Yes, all locations are based on your forward viewpoint. (i.e. rear left surround is on your left as you face your center channel). You will be running all the channels back to a central location (preamp or receiver) so you can correct the mistake at that end (i.e. hook L to R and R to L)....

4. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Of course the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so you can watch a movie where some sounds are related to a L/R position of a person or object on the screen and then check if it is OK.

Also, your receiver may have some support signals (e.g. a pink hiss signal circulating along the different channels) and it will probably denote the channels you should be hearing at any given moment on it's LCD screen, one way or another.

Cees

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Your receiver's test tones tell you which speaker is which, and that should tell you where they should be. They are normally cycled in a clock-wise rotation around the room, in the order of placement, starting with the left front. L->C->R->RS->RC/LC->LS->LFE. Yes, the left rear, should be on the left side of you while you are facing the front.

Video essentials has a "walk around" that moves around the room with both pink noise and voice. Sound & Vision has a 5.1 and 6.1 speaker identifier, that plays sound from the speaker that you should hear it from.