"Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine."

More here...

--
Holadem

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Some are a bit of a stretch:

This isn't exactly true. What it does say is (no quoted, but):
1) Listed on the acceptible uses for a car horn (ie. legal reasons to blow your horn), to alert another motorist that you are passing them is listed. Again, this just means that you can LEGALLY blow your horn in this scenario.
2) In another portion there is a statement that if a vehicle blocking a throughway in such a way as you have to exit the normal lane to pass (ie the shoulder or on coming lane), that you legally required to signal and sound your horn.

So, some are stretched a bit for comedic effect it seems.

-Vince

James T

Screenwriter
You can't drag a dead horse down Yonge Street on a Sunday
I got that one from the dumblaws.com site.

I can't remember which city it's in since it was discussed in law class, but there's a city have a law where you can't shower with you clothes off.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
"Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine."
This has also been my favorite for as long as I can remember. :D

Also, this one from Chester, England is quite funny:

You can only shoot a Welsh person with a bow and arrow inside the city walls and after midnight.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Don, yeah, thats' about the dumbest of them all.

Anothe favorite of mine is from Texas, it's something to the effect of "If two trains are going in opposite directions on the same track and are in each other's way, both shall come to a complete stop and neither shall proceed until the other has passed."

John Watson

Screenwriter
From the point of view of the politicians and bureaucrats, no law is a dumb law, if it keeps them employed :frowning:

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
In Ohio you can be ticketed for leaving your keys in your car. And you can be ticketed for blowing your horn in downtown Cincy.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
For my neighbors to the west in Pa:

Any motorist who sights a team of horses coming toward him must pull well off the road, cover his car with a blanket or canvas that blends with the countryside, and let the horses pass. If the horses appear skittish, the motorist must take his car apart, piece by piece, and hide it under the nearest bushes.
LOL, I guess if you live in Amish country, you better be skilled with the wrench! :D

Mike D.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Also, this one from Chester, England is quite funny:

You can only shoot a Welsh person with a bow and arrow inside the city walls and after midnight.
Hmmm. There's a much claimed famous old old law in York (though it's frequently other cities like Nottingham that are mentioned), where it's legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow & arrow inside the city limits at night. It dates back to the times of William Wallace, and the law was brought in to help keep the invading Scots out of the town. This has been oft-repeated down the years, I'm not sure if there's any real legal precedence to it now though ;)

Sounds like your Chester example is a "Chinese Whispers" version of this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks