Dumb DVD settings question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JeffWilson, Feb 5, 2003.

1. JeffWilson

JeffWilson Agent

OK..here is a dumb question:

I had some work done in my house and the TV and DVD were unplugged and all wires disconnected. Now that I hooked it all back up the quality of the DVD is much worse. There appears to be a fine pattern in the background of the video, almost like a honeycomb. Could there be a setting that was reset when the DVD player was unplugged? Any suggestions? Thanks very much!

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Jeff,

It's unlikely that this is caused by a changed setting. It sounds as if you have a groundloop problem. That's very complicated and you can try some simple measures first.

(BTW, are all power cables connected to exactly the same wall outlets as before?)
    What sort of video connection are you using (between the DVD player and the TV set)? I guess it is Super-Video, in which case you could try reversing it (the other end on the TV and the player, respectively). Did the image improve?
    Is there an audio lead going from your TV to the receiver? Remove it temporarily (it's not used during DVD play) and see if the image improves.

These are just first steps. I assume you are using exactly the same cables (and connections) that were there before.

Hope you get some improvement!

Cees

3. TimTurtino

TimTurtino Stunt Coordinator

Jeff-- If Cees' fine suggestions don't solve the problem, post back w/
    What video connection is going from your TV to your DVD player.
    What other things are hooked up from and to both the TV and the DVD.
    What happens when you hook up only the TV and DVD to each other using only your video connection (everything else disconnected).
    If it is an S-Video cable (check the primer if you don't know what these look like), then check to make sure that the pins on both ends of the cable are sturdy-- better yet, try swapping in a different cable...

Me

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jeff, also, out of curiosity: How finely pitched is this "honeycomb" pattern? Is it almost like a very well-made screen door that's more noticeable during motion sequences? And is it almost so fine-pitched that no one else seems to notice it?

If so, I've seen similar video phenomena—usually after plugging or unplugging displays, or moving them. Non-videophiles don't seem notice those sorts of things for some reason.

5. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I would disagree on the ground loop for nothing he is running is a grounded circuit i.e. a 3 prong plug hence you cant create a ground loop. I would lean towards cabling and dirty power by the sounds of it.

6. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Jeremy,

Ground loops exist when cable shielding are used as connectors. Or when those ground mantles are connected on both sides of the cable.
    When this constitutes a loop (e.g. a cable from the DVD-player goes to the receiver; a cable from the DVD-player goes to the TV-set; a cable from the TV-set goes to the receiver), there may be problems.
    This has nothing to do, in itself, with grounding the circuit or not.

Cees

7. JeffWilson

JeffWilson Agent

OK...my confusion just got raised a bit. I am using both RCA connectors AND a S-Video to connect my DVD to my TV. I remember the manual saying this was important (and yes, I will be getting a new TV with component inputs later this yr..plasma?). When I removed the S-Video to turn it around as suggested here, the honeycomb-like distortion went away!! I am sure someone here can explain this, but I am baffled. Should i put it back on (try it in reverse)? Or leave it off? Thanks very much to everyone for their help and suggestions.

Jeff

8. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

You only need one vid cable from your DVD to your TV so leave the S-Video cable eliminate the RCA cable.

9. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons