Dumb DVD-Rom Region/PAL question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasenP, Mar 28, 2002.

1. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    I have recently installed a new Lite-On DVD Rom and I have made it Region free. I am using an ATI 8500 DV for playback.

Now, can I playback PAL on my PC monitor? Is there software that I can use to play PAL through my TV out on my NTSC TV?

I'm itching to pick up some non-R1 discs, but I won't until I know what I can actually use.

Thanks!

2. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

You should be able to watch disks from other regions other than 1. PAL and NTSC decodeing is not on the DVD's them selves it just how the different region players output the signal. But you cannot display a PAL TV signal throught the 8500. ATI in the past has made PAL versions of all there All-In-Wonder cards for international markets. Im not sure if there is a PAL version avaliable of the 8500.

3. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Without getting into forbidden discussion, can I convert video files to NTSC?

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

You don't need a PAL specific card. It will take care of the conversion for you, since it's basically just displaying whatever your monitor is

5. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Check the DVD playing software; it should have the ability to force the output to one format or the other, or use the source format.