What's new

Dumb changes in new TVs (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Not dumb, just bad for me...
Not so long ago, Sony & most of the other big brands had models that had TV speakers on the side and underneath the picture.
Now everything has them on the side.
The cabinet in my Kitchen is 23.5 inches wide....my Tv is 24 inches. I made it work with a pull out rotating shelf I can slide in on an angle but it bothers me.
My cabinet in my main room holds only a 32" since SPEAKERS ON THE SIDE won't let me go bigger.
It seems like many people have the same problem and throw in a widescreen picture with speakers on the side and I'll have a 15 inch screen pretty soon

needed to get that off my chest

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I agree. I have been searching for months because my family room armoire was purchased back when tv speakers were on the bottom. Nothing new bigger than 30" with the speakers on the side fits in it. Some 26" sets won't fit in it. It's extremely frustrating, especially when I don't even plan on using the speakers. There are some models out there. You have to look, but the choices are limited. Without doing a survey, I'd guess 10% or less of widescreen tv's have the speakers on the bottom.

John_RO

Stunt Coordinator
Also agree. I could have put a 34" widescreen in our cabinet if it werent for the speakers on the side. Had to "settle" for a 30." JVC makes a 34" widescreen I saw at HH Gregg with the speakers on the bottom but the pillarbox mode displays grey bars. WTH? Who wants to look at grey bars?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
OK, I'm assuming that you are talking mainly about CRT based TV's. There are quite a few LCD's currently are either putting the speakers underneath again or are making the speakers removeable.

Though I understand why manufacturers still include "built in TV" speakers on most of their sets, I'd like to know the proportion of folks buying a 4-5K+ projection sets that aren't using separate speaker in the first place. Is it possible that many are going to buy the new Sony 60 inch Qualia and use those awful speakers that jut out 8-10 inches from either side of the cabinet that makes the set nearly impossible to slide back into a recess/cabinet/armoire for what would be a wonderful built in theater look.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member

Pretty Much.
Since most built in TV speakers are pretty basicI wish they would leave them off in the 1st place and have a decent amp output /preamp out.
My last TV I had in the kichen I sawed the damn speakers off.... needless to say it was a little old but I got it to fit.

Sometimes I believe the design engineers live another planet....

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Grant! :) Actually, if you look around for professional or commercial monitors, they do leave the speakers out. www.markertek.com has some. But they also usually leave the tuner out too.

I had an RCA a while ago that had speakers on the bottom. Crap TV, but there still must be some out there with them on the bottom.

Funny thing is, I also specifically look for this for LCDs and plasmas. You can fit a wider screen into the same horiz space.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks