What's new

Dumb car maintenance question. (1 Viewer)

MikeH

Stunt Coordinator
I want to replace the window washer fluid in my car and replace it with Rain-X. How do I drain the existing fluid? Only thing I could think of was a aquarium vacuum.

Thanks,

Mike

Jimi C

Screenwriter
There has to be a hose that goes from the tank somewhere, probably on the bottom of it, just unplug it and let it drain into a bucket.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Or if that doesn't work, run the wiper switch until you run out of fluid.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

By running air thru it you greatly increase the chances of sending the pump to an early grave.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
These tanks usually draw from the top, with a straw that extends down, so disconnecting it will do nothing.

You're going to put in the Rain-X washer fluid, correct? Not straight Rain-X, I hope.:)

If you can fashion a tiny hose to put on the end of a wet/dry shop vac, and shove that into the reservoir, that ought to do it. I don't recommend running the washer motor until it runs dry- they're not really set up for continuous use.

If you live where it freezes, make sure you pick up the winter mix (contains an anti-freeze agent). I moved back to VA from FL, after 12 years, and this was one of the many things I forgot to do.:)

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
Even the Rain-X washer fluid is meant to be added to regular washer fluid -- you're not supposed to use it straight.

MikeH

Stunt Coordinator

Joe, that is different than anything I have read or heard. I've been told that mixing the two lessens the effects of Rain-X.

Mike

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
If all else fails, read the label. I don't see why you can't just wait til your fluid gets low, then put in the other stuff.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I have a full jug of Rain-X wiper fluid in the garage now. I just looked at the label, it says 'do not dilute'. You don't need to mix it with regular washer fluid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks