dum da da dum dum

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Christpher_S, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Christpher_S

Christpher_S Stunt Coordinator

I managed to poke a hole in the foam surround of my Shiva sub with a cordless screw driver. What would be the best way to try and repair the damage? All the foam is there and the tear isn't visible without looking real close. I'm sure I could glue it with something but I'm not sure what to try. Would shoe goo be a good choice? I sent Adire an E-Mail asking for suggestions but I'm pretty sure the spam filter at work ate the reply. Any opinions?

By the way, what difference in performance should I expect with and without the little hole in the foam? The sub sounds pretty darn good but I know it needs to be sealed. Especially since it's in a sealed box.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

I bet a spam filter wouldn't have much effect if you called them on the the phone. :wink:

There are several ways to patch the surround, but wait for a reply from Adire.....

3. Christpher_S

Christpher_S Stunt Coordinator

Phone? On which OS does that run? Is it freeware or do you have to pay for it?

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

A cup and a string might do the trick as well...

5. dave alan

dave alan Second Unit

A tear in the surround is equivalent to a serious leak in the sealed box. Also, it probably will get larger if not repaired.

I wouldn't play it until the repair is made.

You might wanna ask Kyle Richardson for his opinion on the best patch method, as he's familiar with the driver/surround material. Just a suggestion.

6. Mitch N

Mitch N Stunt Coordinator

I've had good luck with rubber cement and a piece of electrical tape on the backside of the sub. Although some would disagree that rubber cement is too harsh for foam surrounds. I figure I'll only keep the sub for a couple years at best. Some of the guys here much sooner.

7. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

i have used silicon with success in the past. it seemed to do the job great while still remaining fairly flexable.

8. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

I think I remember hearing someone else used a black silicone adhesive. I would think something similar to what is used on passive radiator's when they glue the foam to the MDF board might be sufficient.