1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Dukes of Hazzard trailer

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Greg_S_H, May 6, 2005.

1. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/thedukesofhazzard.html

I shouldn't do this, and influence you before you see the trailer, but:

It starts out okay in the first section of the trailer. I mean, I don't for once buy any of these actors as the Dukes and co., but at least it looks like they are trying to maintain the spirit of the thing. But, when they take a left turn and have them impersonating those people and hanging out in a dorm? Eh. I was pretty sure I wouldn't be catching this one from the first time I heard of it, but it's pretty much a dead certainty now that I'll be skipping it.

BTW, thanks to Scott Weinberg, whose blurb about the trailer on RottenTomatoes made me aware it was out.

2. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

I'm thinking this is going to be nothing but a stupid harmless movie with stunts and one-liners galore. Of course, having Jessica Simpson in a bikini won't hurt. [​IMG]

3. Justin^W

Justin^W Agent

Looks like a fun summer movie, thanks for the link.

4. Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE Screenwriter

Looks like the movie will be pretty fun. Simpson is pretty hot in it too [​IMG]

5. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Yeah, it looks like it could be a fun movie in it's own right. Certainly does not look like they are going to be carrying the innocence over from the orginal show. Looks like they made the Dukes much more in-your-face.

C. Ryan

6. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Yeah, same reaction here. I also didn't particularly like that Dasiy was going to be in a bikini, not that I don't want to see Jessica Simpson in a bikini, but that Barbera Bach never would have done it, and it isn't really in character for Dasiy.

I had a little hope because Jay Chandrasekhar was directing, and I did really like Super Troopers, but this isn't enough for me to risk it.

Jason

7. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

Minor correction. It's Catherine Bach.

I question why it's being made by those particular filmmakers. Odd choice. And I hate it that Jessica Biel lost to Simpson as she is infinitely a better choice because she is hotter in that Southern way and has the hips necessary for the 'costume'. Plus Biel is darkhaired like the Daisy portrayed by Bach.

I have a bad feeling about this.

8. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Oh, yeah. Nobody can ever replace Catherine Bach, but Jessica Biel would have been close. Still, I gotta say, I've never been a Jessica Simpson fan, but she does look mighty good in this trailer. Just, not so good in the role. The guy playing Enos gave a very Enos smile in his scene, but he's still kind of off. I don't know who he is, but he looks like Jason Isaacs to me.

I don't know Johnny Knoxville either, but there are a couple of shots where he reminds me strongly of Vince Vaughn. I wonder how he would have been in the role.

9. Rian

Rian Stunt Coordinator

Why do I get the feeling like they dumbed down Bo and Luke? Some of the things in the trailer made me weary about seeing it but I don't think I could miss this movie in theatres. By the way, did anybody notice how the General Lee had a different style of font for the 01 in the beginning of the trailer than it did in the end?

10. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

BUT very ballsy to keep the Confederate flag atop the car. I'm surprised (and glad) they kept with the original like that!

Wonder if this film will be boycotted.

11. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

They "dumbed down" something from the Dukes of Hazard ? Did you actually ever watch the show !?!?!?

myself a shameless devotee every Friday night when I was 11-12 yrs old. It was Carl's Jr. + the Dukes of Hazard. Hey, its a 12 yr old's version of the weekend trip to Hooters.

:wink:

12. Greg_S_H

Greg
    By the way, I understand a free ticket will be enclosed with the season three box set. That's coming out the last Tuesday in May.

Edit: actually, I wouldn't be surprised if that plan has been changed. The news item at TVShows said the box was coming about three weeks before the movie. I think the trailer said Dukes was coming in August, so I'm not sure they would give a ticket that far in advance. I guess it's possible.

13. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

I agree with Greg- I was pretty optimistic at the beginning. There is a nice grittiness to the opening car chase segments that was really appealing. Once it veered off into comedy though it really wasn't very funny. I'm willing to give it a chance though- I thought the humor in both Super Troopers and Club Dread took a little while to build and consequently wasn't really trailer friendly.

I read a rumor that there is a somewhat politically correct method the confederate flag is introduced in the film.

14. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

Yeah I know. I've read that as well.

Interesting that if it is a politically correct-motivated move, will it actually be that because it sounds insulting to Southerners if it is what I read.

15. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Well, spoiler text and tell what it is, unless the explanation will get into areas against forum rules somehow.

16. Todd_B

Todd_B Second Unit

17. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

Greg, I took this from another site that I *think* took it from AICN:

18. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Thanks. For some reason, that explanation reminds me of a scene from The Principal.

19. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Sorry. I was going by Catherine's comments on posters, that she wanted to portray a more 'wholesome' image than just posing in a bikini. I haven't actually seen the show in years and didn't remember that part.

Jason

20. Rian

Rian Stunt Coordinator

They were never really that dumb were they? I mean I haven't seen the show in a little while but the one scene in the dorm room where the girl says she is Australian seems like Bo is way too stupid after she said that. That and the Japanese thing too. Or maybe I should just watch my Season 1 DVD and try and remember.