What's new

Dukes of Hazzard on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

jeremy223

Agent
Real Name
jeremy
Powell&Pressburger said:
They may remove the flag from cover artwork to block it but the show would remain untouched.

I do have a question for those who own the season box sets. From what I can tell Season 1 was re-issued a few years back as a 5 disc set, so I assume those discs are bow single sided. Are any of the other seasons that were released in the digibook form double sided discs?

Seasons 2,3 and 6 were also double sided. Its funny because when season 1 was re-released as single sided discs, they used the exact same menus from the previous release telling you there were episodes on the other side.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I doubt they should do anything with the current DVDs that are out there, of course they are all on backorder direct from amazon at this moment. They could crop most of the general lee out of the image or obstruct the full image of the flag which seems to be that way mainly with characters standing in front or on it.

WB for sure got some sales from the flag news, but no reason to pull the show from circulation would be ridiculous.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Yeah I don't see the animated one being pulled either. I will more than likely put it on my amazon wish list then. Sometimes they are pressed direct from WB and burned MOD thru amazon depending on the title.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
TV Land has just removed reruns from their schedule. :(

I'm glad I canceled my satellite dish 14 years ago, with the money saved I could buy the show over and over for...well not good at math but... *giggle giggle*

Classic44

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
I just watched an episode last night where a black character meets the Dukes and says, " Sorry to be a stranger in town." Daisy replies, " Ah, strangers are just friends we haven't met yet." Yeah... this is really a show to be ashamed of isn't it? Just tragic on so many levels. My grandson who is mixed watches it on DVD every day and loves it. He will continue to watch it regardless of what TVLand (or anyone else) says.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
So a family friendly show from the 80's is pulled from a network known for classic tv? Glad I own the season sets on dvd, and my $60 monthly cable bill is almost certainly going to be canceled...as soon as I hear an announcement that Gunsmoke seasons on dvd will continue.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'd be surprised if TV Land didn't quietly start playing the show again before the end of the year (maybe even the end of the summer).

I don't pay much attention to people's Facebook & Twitter outrage (since it's so fleeting) but was there much of a call requesting that Dukes Of Hazard reruns be pulled? Corporate cowardice rather than people being offended caused this and the result isn't people applauding TV Land, it's people laughing at them.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
TV Land is about as smart as the BBC. Meaning they have no clue what the hell they are doing.

This is just like when the BBC banned the Jimmy Savile episodes of Top of the Pops, after his secret life was exposed. BBC were idiots for doing this (like it or not, they're part of history), and TV Land are none the wiser. Next thing you know, EVERY network will be like the BBC and act like this show never existed.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Vahan_Nisanain said:
TV Land is about as smart as the BBC. Meaning they have no clue what the hell they are doing.

This is just like when the BBC banned the Jimmy Savile episodes of Top of the Pops, after his secret life was exposed. BBC were idiots for doing this (like it or not, they're part of history), and TV Land are none the wiser. Next thing you know, EVERY network will be like the BBC and act like this show never existed.

Yeah, when the Doctor Who 'The Two Doctors' DVD went out of print, the BBC eventually reissued it without the Sixth Doctor's Jim'll Fix It segment in the bonus features.

As for TV Land? They have little to do with classic TV anymore. Haven't in about a decade now. I figure they're thrilled to find a reason to pull any classic TV show to air more originals or shows from the 2000s.

/however, after a good 7 or 8 year ban, Vince McMahon reinstated all Chris Benoit footage when WWE started up their network, albeit with a disclaimer. And the NFL have never really ignored OJ. So not everything has to be ignored... it's just the most popular option these days.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I was never a Dukes of Hazzard fan (nothing against it, it just wasn't my thing), but this near-totalitarian pulling of the show (and its flag-related merchandise) is silly, craven and stupid.

However, I have a feeling that in TV Land's case, this was mainly an effort to try to score some PC gold stars ahead of what they were probably going to do soon, anyway:

TV Land re-brands itself (I bet most of the rest of the remaining oldies will get broomed off the network before long, as well)

--Not that I didn't already quit watching the channel 15 years ago (as it steadily went downhill), but... *blecch*.

As for the Duke boys... unless Warner wrongheadedly decides to completely and permanently pull the series from TV distribution, I could easily see the show eventually popping back up somewhere like RFD-TV.

Real Name
Andrew
TV Land butchers its shows in various ways anyway: syndicated reruns (though it's more likely on the distributor not TV Land itself), too many ads (why the heck do half hour shows last 36 or 37 minutes anyway?), and credit squeezing. So Dukes fans, however they feel about TVL being "totalitarian"/"PC"/etc., will have a better viewing experience by buying/renting "Dukes" on DVD, with full-length episodes and ability to watch the show on their (not the network's) schedule.

I think older shows deserve exposure to a newer audience (besides established fans) through syndication. Problem is, with the changing media landscape (Hulu and Netflix replacing cable/sat channels, which is largely why cable channels schedule so much trash), how do studios do so?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The Obsolete Man said:
As for TV Land? They have little to do with classic TV anymore. Haven't in about a decade now. I figure they're thrilled to find a reason to pull any classic TV show to air more originals or shows from the 2000s.
Actually, that's a really good point. A more than 30 year old show is too old for the current incarnation of TV Land. If it's off their channel, it's probably due to the age of the show & a change in programming (that Peter pointed out) and not the flag on top of the car. They just wanted to use the hubbub as a way to try to look good while moving towards new programming.

All that being said, I imagine some other channel will pick up the show at some point in the near future.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
TravisR said:
Actually, that's a really good point. A more than 30 year old show is too old for the current incarnation of TV Land. If it's off their channel, it's probably due to the age of the show & a change in programming (that Peter pointed out) and not the flag on top of the car. They just wanted to use the hubbub as a way to try to look good while moving towards new programming.

All that being said, I imagine some other channel will pick up the show at some point in the near future.

I believe Dukes is still a staple of CMT's line-up.

And it'll probably pop up on Antenna TV or MeTV or Cozi or Decades or one of the myriad other retro TV digital subchannels, where all the shows that used to be on TV Land and Nick at Nite now reside.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks