What's new

Dukes of Hazzard on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
jeremy223 said:
Are you sure it was full frame? I haven't watched all the episodes that CMT have shown, but everyone I have seen has been majorly cropped. I don't get CMT in hd, but I would have thought the aspect ratio would be the same on CMT and CMT HD.
Full frame. No bars on top or bottom. I have my Directv receiver set to "stretch" the sides but not the bottom, so if it were cropped, I would have saw that. My guess is it's 4x3HD and my receiver is stretching it on over. It looks pretty amazing. My son got the 1st season on DVD from his mother so I may plug one of those in and see how they compare to the CMT versions.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
AndyMcKinney said:
I know if they were doing it today, they wouldn't require the actress to wear pantyhose under them! Very ridiculous "rule", given that the bikini she wears in the opening credits is much tinier than those shorts. I think ABC standards and practices had a similar rule on the set of Three's Company.
I've only ever heard Gene Roddenberry talk about the measuring cleavage thing. :D I didn't know all that spilled into the 70s and 80s. After TV went jiggle I had always thought it was open season!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
jeremy223 said:
I think these are new prints. The colors are different and I've noticed some picture clean up and picture stabilization. Just watching "Double Sting" tonight, there is an obvious difference at the very beginning where the Dukes are run off the road. On the dvd, this scene looks like it takes place at dusk and both cars are using their headlights to see. On the hd print, this scene is much brighter. It looks like the cars have their headlights on in broad daylight.
Oh, dear. Sounds like that scene was shot "day-for-night" and whoever did the remastering forgot to correctly grade the color (same mistake happened on MGM's release of the Dark Shadows revival series, making it appear the vampire was walking around in daytime).

WadeM

Supporting Actor
I just picked up season 1 DVD set and noticed that it's now single-sided discs, but it still has the double-sided DVD menu telling me to flip the disc over for more episodes. Anyway, if this comes out on Blu-ray, I'm in for it.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
WadeM said:
I just picked up season 1 DVD set and noticed that it's now single-sided discs, but it still has the double-sided DVD menu telling me to flip the disc over for more episodes.
The single sided dvd discs version of Wonder Woman season 1 is like this too.

Probably no point in re-doing all the menus again.

UniversalPhan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathan Winters
Dukes of Hazzard is in full frame and I can tell you that all of the Warner Brothers reissued DVD sets are now single sided disks but have the same menu (flip disk over) options. I believe Universal is doing the same thing.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
On average, I found the Warner double-sided flipper dvd discs somewhat more reliable than the flipper disks manufactured by Universal.

Perhaps Warner had better quality control than Universal?

In the case of the Dukes, IIRC it was seasons 1, 2, 3 and 6 which were originally released as double sided flipper discs?

UniversalPhan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathan Winters
That's correct on the Warner/Universal QC issues. The problem with flipper disks I always had would be that I always ended up getting scratched disks.

D

dora.slate

UniversalPhan said:
Dukes of Hazzard is in full frame and I can tell you that all of the Warner Brothers reissued DVD sets are now single sided disks but have the same menu (flip disk over) options. I believe Universal is doing the same thing.
where have you seen single sided dvds for the dukes of hazzard season 2 3 6 ? and if you seen them has season 4 5 7 been re-released in keep cases and no longer in digipaks ?

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Have the original masters been done in HD? My kids watch it on CMT all the time and it doesn't look all that "hi-def" to me.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Was the Dukes originally done on film or videotape?

Was it edited on film or videotape?

UniversalPhan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathan Winters
The only thing I do know is that Warner has reissued Season 1, just like they did with Chips Season 1 and 2. I think Warner Brothers and Universal and even now, Fox Home Video, are just going back and reissuing previous sets at a lower cost. I've noticed that studios are going back, repackaging old sets, repressing double sided DVDs as single sided disks and then reissuing them at a lower rpice. They've discovered that they can make new profits on these sets by repackaging them.

Warner has been doing this for years. I think it all started with Babylon 5 and Gilmore girls. Then, other studios started following suit, as we've seen with Fox Home Video (X-Files) and Paramount, with Frasier.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
UniversalPhan said:
The only thing I do know is that Warner has reissued Season 1, just like they did with Chips Season 1 and 2.
Was season 1 of CHiPs originally released as flipper discs? The different listings of season 1 on amazon, list it as 6 discs. (My copy is 6 discs).

For season 2, my copy is a 4 disk version of which three of the discs were flippers. The 4th disc is a "special features" disc that is single sided.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
UniversalPhan said:
I think Warner Brothers and Universal and even now, Fox Home Video, are just going back and reissuing previous sets at a lower cost. I've noticed that studios are going back, repackaging old sets, repressing double sided DVDs as single sided disks and then reissuing them at a lower price.
Which Fox flipper sets have been re-released as single sided discs?

Awhile ago I picked up the repackaged versions of all four "Remington Steele" season sets. They were the flipper disc versions in a different new packaging.

EDIT: Taking a look at amazon listings, it appears hardly any of the "Remington Steele" season sets are available either from amazon or is fulfilled by amazon. Perhaps these "repackaged flipper discs" version were recalled by Fox? Could this be a sign that Fox is releasing single sided discs version of "Remington Steele"?

Classic44

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Is there any more news regarding the possibility of Dukes coming to Blu ray? Seeing all of those Auto-Trader commercials has certainly peaked my interest.

Classic44

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Eh... I guess the answer is "no". Perhaps the Duke craze that has lasted for so long is finally taking a trend downward.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Classic44 said:
Eh... I guess the answer is "no". Perhaps the Duke craze that has lasted for so long is finally taking a trend downward.
I don't think the "craze" is going downward per se. Bo and Luke will always have their dedicated fan base.

I wonder if all the episodes have even been transferred to HD? My kids watch it faithfully on CMT and they seem to keep rerunning the same set of episodes over and over and over. I've yet to see a Coy and Vance episode other than the one where Bo and Luke came back. I guess I'm in the minority, but I liked Coy and Vance. They weren't as good as Bo and Luke, but I remember my mother reading an article back in the day that told about John Schneider and Tom Wopat coming back, but it said that Coy and Vance would still figure in the show to a degree. It never happened obviously. I don't think they were ever referenced again even.

With that being said, I will add that the episodes on CMT look stunning in HD. It's a shame that they're cut to give CMT more time for their ignorant reality show commercials. I also wish, though it's a longshot, that someone would pick up Enos. Given that it was only 13 episodes (I think), I don't understand why it wasn't just included in the syndication package.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks