What's new

Dukes of Hazzard on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
jcroy said:
The repackaged season 2 set from amazon.ca has a UPC of 883929463725

On the back cover, it has a 2015 date and says "Not authorized for sale or rental outside Canada".

Whether it is a legit release or not, depends on what you want to believe.

As to why Warner is too lazy to do them as single-sided discs, I have no idea.

There is no reason to doubt this legit. Warner USA and Warner Canada are two separate outfits, and Dukes of Hazzard isn't the first time that we would have seen that type of notice on the packaging.

Some of us will remember when season 1 of Doctor Who got released in Canada a lot sooner than it did here, mainly due to them waiting for a US broadcaster to sign-on to tie-in the release. I think a few other Who releases might have bowed first in Canada, too.

I don't think there's anything suspicious here.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Just got my box set.

Season 1-Single sided stack hub.

Season 2-Double sided stack

Season 3-Double sided stack

Season 4-Single sided flipper trays.

Season 5-Single sided flipper trays

Season 6-Double sided stack

Season 7-Single sided stack

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Bob_S. said:
Just got my box set.

Season 1-Single sided stack hub.

Season 2-Double sided stack

Season 3-Double sided stack

Season 4-Single sided flipper trays.

Season 5-Single sided flipper trays

Season 6-Double sided stack

Season 7-Single sided stack

Thanks for the info.

Interesting that season 4 and 5 are trays. Perhaps Warner still has too many original digipak copies of seasons 4 and 5 collecting dust in their warehouses?

Sounds like Warner just put all the original season sets into a big giant box. Sorta like other Warner complete series sets, such as: ER, the original Dallas, The Waltons, Fringe, etc ...

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I really like the box they come in. If you don't have the series yet I'd suggest getting the boxset. Who knows how soon they will redo the packaging and remove the flag off the top of the box.

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Bob_S. said:
I really like the box they come in. If you don't have the series yet I'd suggest getting the boxset. Who knows how soon they will redo the packaging and remove the flag off the top of the box.
Hmm, maybe WB was only going to halt General Lee replica & toy production (or at least swipe the flag off) & not media releases.

Just a thought.

Lafig342

Auditioning
Real Name
Nic
Anyone know roughly how long Season 7 has been out of stock on Amazon US?

Tempted to buy all the sets from Amazon CA (super cheap at the moment) but the shipping to Australia is pretty bad compared to Amazon US.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
jcroy said:
The repackaged season 2 set from amazon.ca has a UPC of 883929463725

As to why Warner is too lazy to do them as single-sided discs, I have no idea.

My uninformed guess as to why the repackaged re-release of season 2 was still done was double-sided flipper discs, is most likely Warner still had a huge inventory of manufactured season 2 flipper discs from a past pressing which they haven't used until recently.

Don't forget the original version of season 2 was released back in 2005, which was around the peak high of the dvd market. It is possible Warner manufactured tons of season 2 discs back then, mistakently thinking that dvd's success would continue on forever. ;)

If Warner had run out of season 2 discs, I would guess Warner might have just repressed season 2 as single-sided discs.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
This may sound like utter wishful thinking on my part.

I hope that all (or most) of the existing stock of Dukes of Hazzard season sets end up selling out completely, due to recent current events. Then there might be the smallest possiblity of Warner repressing the double-side flipper disc season sets as single-sided discs. (ie. Seasons 2, 3 and 6).

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I ordered CHiPs season 1 recently & it arrived in what I thought was cheap(ish) packaging, in a plastic case with all 6 discs on one central spindle. (I returned to Amazon for a replacement because the spindle was broken on arrival & discs loose). Is this packaging generally how the Universal repacks are released?

I ask because later in the day while perusing my local used DVD/video game store, I saw a used copy of Dukes of Hazzard season 1 on the shelf which had the same plastic/single spindle setup.

It surprised me because I've owned Dukes S1 through S3 for about a decade in their original packages, so it was odd seeing it packaged that way on someone else's shelf.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Chips Season 1 and Dukes of Hazzard Season 1 were reissued in the plastic hub cases but the plus side was the discs are now single sided. I didn't have an issue with my Dukes S1 set but I ordered 3 sets of Chips S1 on the spindle before I got in a set where multiple discs weren't loose and really scratched up. I was shocked at how scratched they were. Hopefully others have had better luck because I would rather own the single side editions.

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Powell&Pressburger said:
Chips Season 1 and Dukes of Hazzard Season 1 were reissued in the plastic hub cases but the plus side was the discs are now single sided. I didn't have an issue with my Dukes S1 set but I ordered 3 sets of Chips S1 on the spindle before I got in a set where multiple discs weren't loose and really scratched up. I was shocked at how scratched they were. Hopefully others have had better luck because I would rather own the single side editions.
Thanks for the reply. I have Dukes s4 through s6 on the way... after more than a month of waiting they're finally being delivered today, according to Amazon. I'm guessing these might be reissues as well due to the numerous delays.

Hoping for non-loose discs, but I'll happily work the return system for those single sided discs.

(*Note: I didn't see the Dukes S1 discs were single sided in the used DVD store as the discs themselves are kept behind the counter out of the display cases.)

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Let us know if the seasons you get from Amazon are the fold out digipack style cases. I'd imagine they are but not for sure how long they will keep printing that style case. I think it is season 4 or is it 5 is really crazy thick

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
^^^

I just got S4-6, and they are indeed the fold-out digipacks. I was worried that there would be several floaters (something I never worry about with BDs), but was pleased when there were none. After removing all of them from the digipacks and putting them in slim-CD cases (the cases go on a different book shelf, and the packaging is displayed), I only found one problem disc from S6 - there is a large "smear" on the recorded surface that can not be buffed off (believe me, I tried). Since this is likely the last chance I will have to get these, I called for a replacement sight-unseen (should be here tomorrow).

All-in-all, I think I came out of this mess pretty good... Seasons 1-6, and a General Lee replica on the way (AMM964; from Cooter's Place)... :)

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
My s4-6 arrived. All fold-out digipacks. Quick & dirty snapshot of s4.

20150806_174840.jpg

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
darkrock17 said:
9 discs for 26 episodes! that's about 3 episodes a disc.

Going back a decade ago when "flipper mania" was at its peak, I strongly suspect Warner might have originally planned to do Dukes of Hazzard seasons 4 and 5 as double-sided flipper discs.

At around that same time period, Warner was releasing season sets of the original Dallas and The Waltons as 4 or 5 double-sided flipper discs per season set. These Dallas sets also had three episodes per disc side.

Most likely the huge bad publicity of defective Universal double-sided flipper discs sets at the time (ie. Magnum PI, Knight Rider, The A-Team, Miami Vice, etc ...), changed Warner's mind about doing Dukes of Hazzard seasons 4 and 5.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I was SO happy when they came out with Seasons 4 & 5 on single-sided discs. Then, for some reason, they reverted back to flippers for Season 6!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Mr. Handley said:
I was SO happy when they came out with Seasons 4 & 5 on single-sided discs. Then, for some reason, they reverted back to flippers for Season 6!

I have no idea why they went back to flippers for season 6.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I just want to let everyone know my copy of The Dukes came in the mail, and the opening sequence is INTACT. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks