What's new

Duke Ellington *Blues in Orbit* MFSL SACD $150 at Acoustic Sounds! (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
You read the subject correctly! I got a catalog from Acoustic Sounds in the mail today, and they list the Duke Ellington Blues in Orbit MFSL SACD for $150! Since Blues in Orbit was released by the original MFSL (the only such SACD released), it has been out of print for a long time. However, I never expected to see it offered for $150. I bought my copy in the fall of 2000 from Acoustic Sounds for $35!

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I got mine there a bit ago for $30 or $35, can't remember. I kind of figured that it would go for a lot more later. Keith, just listened to "Jazz at the Pawnshop" SACD (in 2-channel) and it is really good. Have not got the whole system back together yet but I was quite impressed with the first listen.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Phil, thanks for the recommendation. Perhaps I will check it out. I haven't seen that SACD in stores yet, though I haven't been to a Tower Records store in awhile.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
It is $60 for the 2-disc set at most online places. At the NY Show, Elusive Disc and others had it for $40 so I could not resist it. I had previously heard bits and pieces of it on vinyl on a really good 2-channel system and it is definitely a great live jazz recording, especially for its day.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
What?! I bought my copy of "Blues In Orbit" for $25 about 6 months ago!!! $150 is downright obsene, even though I love that CD.

I've got the First Impressions/XRCD version of "Jazz at the Pawnshop" and it is amazing! Not only does the band sound great, but you can hear little nuances of the recording environment like glasses clanging together, a cash register bell ringing as the drawer opens, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks