What's new

Dukane 9017 (JVC DLA-SX21U) vs. Sharp XV-Z12000U (1 Viewer)

JeromeB

Agent
Both systems (D-ILA vs. Hd2+) are at the same price point. Any preferences or thoughts comparing these two beauties? Is the Dukane better at minimizing rainbow effect? How about fan noise?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

-jb

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Where in CA are you?

I have the 9017 at home and absolutely love it.

There are no rainbows with the Dukane, because it's a 3-chip projector. Fan noise is noticable though, and definitely louder than the 12k. The picture quality is awesome, extremely smooth, with great colors. The 12k definitely has it beat with contrast and quietness though.

JeromeB

Agent
Gabriel,

I cannot tell you how helpful your assessment is for me. I am concerned that sound is going to be an issue since my ceiling is 7’ 10” and the projector will be close to our heads. I am specifically looking for long throw projectors so that I can mount the projector about 3-4 feet behind me, thus minimizing noise. For others who read this post and want to minimize noise, if you have the space consider building a hushbox (try googling it) or a pre-made product is the Revelation by Draper Inc.

Unfortunately I do not have room for hushbox action, and trust that mounting the projector behind me is a reasonable solution. Any input would be greatly welcome.

Regards,
-jb

p.s. Gabriel I’m in San Francisco.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
There is next to no noise from the 12K. I have not seen the Dukane though to compare.

JeromeB

Agent
Dear Neil,
Thanks for the input.

Just to make all information available to anyone reading this post, checkout user opinion at Projector Central about the 12K, from a professional installer,(http://www.projectorcentral.com/part...pinion_id=3265) where it is described as a “jet taking off”. At any rate I am running out to go look at one today.

Regards,
-jb

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
His 12k probably had a problem with either the fan or the colorwheel. They're not normally that loud.

My ceiling is only about 2 inches taller than yours, though mine is mounted close to the ceiling.

Mine is mounted just over 16' back, and I'm sitting only 11-12' back.

A hushbox is a good idea for added quietness.

I made my mount so that I could slide the projector forward or backwards since I tend to change projectors so often (this is my 10th or so in the last 3 years).

Did you pick a screen size & material yet? The 9017 is definitely brighter than the 12k.

JeromeB

Agent
Gabriel,

Thanks for your reply. I just reviewed a 12k and the thing is huge!!! I mean the projector is gigantic. I was going to go with a Chief SL-150 lift, but the 12k doesn’t even fit into it! Additionally I could not get a positive review on the Chief lift, and have thus decided on a ceiling mount. Given my low ceiling (7’ 10”) I think I will opt for a smaller projector such as the Infocus 7205.

As for screen materials, what would you suggest? I am thinking of modest gain, such as the Grayhawk, or a Da-Lite such as the High Contrast Matte White. I am also considering a fixed screen, because now that I am looking at projector screens throughout the offices at work, I notice most have creases that develop over time by being rolled up for prolonged periods.

Regards,
-jb

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
I guess it depends on how big of a screen you plan to get. I personally prefer the firehawk to the grayhawk for most applications. I currently own a firehawk, and my last screen was a grayhawk. I've heard good things about the HCMW and like the HCCV (I've seen the standard and perforated). The Dalites are retroflective though, so the effective gain won't tend to be as high with respect to the equivalent Stewart's when you ceiling mount your projector.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
If I had to buy a screen and it was in my budget, I would also opt for the Firehawk over the Grayhawk for the 12K.

JeromeB

Agent
Thanks for the input. You guys are an amazing resource, worth more than twice your weight in DLP chips.

Screens: fixed vs. electric. Since I am in the market for a screen, I have been eyeing the screens in the offices at work (not to steal, but simply assessing quality, conformation, etc.), and note that many of the electric screens have warped over time, and have a rippled or undulating surface contour. Is this what I can expect over time if I buy an electric screen? I see that Stewart sells screens on a variety of roller diameters, presumably to mitigate against this effect? I guess a fixed screen would be the ideal solution if one did not mind having it on the wall all the time.

Regards,
-jb

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Fixed screens are an ideal solution if you don't mind having it down. However, if you buy an electric screen, make sure you get a tensioned one (there's wires on the side that pull the screen taut). That keeps the screen nice and straight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks