Duel & Sugarland Express - Due in August 2004

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
I hope the zillionth time is the charm:

Universal Home Video has announced Steven Spielberg's Duel: Collector's Edition and The Sugarland Express on August 17th.

A Jesus Christ Superstar: Special Edition is due on August 31st and Mask: Special Edition (the one with Cher) has also been re-announced for September 7th.

Stay tuned for disc specs as they're revealed.

Malcolm R

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Malcolm
As with "Indiana Jones 4," I won't believe it until the opening credits of "Duel" are rolling before my eyes. Universal's mucked up this release twice already.

Jay E

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Happy to see Sugarland Express coming out.

And I agrree with Malcolm on Duel, the studio that cried wolf is not going to get me a third time.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Are those specs any different from the versions of Duel that have tricked out so far?

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Matt Butler
Don,
Those are the same specs as before. I have Duel already. The conversation with Speilberg is great.
Cant wait for Sugarland!

Sam Davatchi

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
SamD
I see the recalled R1 Duel every week when I pass by my local retailer. It’s very expensive of course. My question is, what does it have more than the version that will be released finally and is it worth it that I pay for this rare edition?

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I'm told that the 5.1 mix on Duel is a completely new soundtrack on the order of Jaws and Superman - The Movie. Thank goodness that mono 2.0 track is on there. Maybe the studios are learning from their past mistakes.

Neil

Jeff_HR

Producer
Reaction score
So do I, and that's the only thing on that list I'm interested in.

Joseph Bolus

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Just like many others on this forum, I was able to procure a Duel from Amazon in August of last year during the 24 hours that they were offering this disc.

According to "Spielbergfilms.com", this will be the same exact disc that came ever-so-close to going into wide distribution last year.

Here's what they have to say on the matter:

Here's the link to their review:

http://www.spielbergfilms.com/dueldvdreview.html

Bill GrandPre

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Hmm. They have the specs for "Duel" but not for "Sugarland Express". I'd bet they didn't get the specs from an official source. They probably just copied them off of the leaked "Duel" discs. Had a "Sugarland Express" disc leaked they probably would have used that as a source, too. Since this DVD has been delayed twice, I wouldn't be surprised if the special features were modified in some way since legal reasons were most likely the reason for the delay.

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor
Reaction score
hopefully Duel will now be in my hands although I am more interested in Sugarland Express

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Joe Pinney
I agree, for a big-head DVD cover, it's not a bad one. Here's the original poster art -

I live close to Sugar Land, Texas (yes, the only time you combine the "sugar" and the "land" are in Spielberg's film, which was largely shot nowhere near Sugar Land, Texas), and I think it's still one of his finest films ever. I have LONG been waiting for this DVD.

I'm betting we'll finally see these two discs actually arrive in August. They're definite buys for a Spielberg fan like me.

StevenFC

Second Unit
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll be picking up Duel for myself in August. And I'm going to buy Ed Wood for my good buddy Sasquatch.

Justin_S

Producer
Reaction score
Duel is Speilberg's best film as far as I'm concerned, and a huge personal favorite. I've been extremely pissed off by the damned delays, and if Universal does it again this time, I'll truly go berserk.

WillG

Lead Actor
Reaction score

It wasn't a leak. Duel was pulled at the last second the last time so the specs were already known. The most accepted rumor of why it was pulled the last time was the death of Dennis Weaver's daughter by the truck that smashed through the Farmer's Market in L.A. If that is truly the case, then there's no reason to believe that the specs would be any different this time around.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balbendergeta