What's new

Duel 25-31CS+ versus PB2+ Thread help suggestions. (1 Viewer)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
With all the talk in regards to the PB2+ and how it would compare to the duel 25-31+ configuration I thought I would do a comparison Thread. This will be very non scientific and definitely unprofessional. Just me playing with my subs.
>
I was thinking if we could come up with 4-8 good scenes
that I would be able measure, this ought to give us a rough idea? I have a bass disk (thanks Geoff) that goes from 15 Hz on up to 99 Hz. So I could use this also. I could also tune them to the 20 Hz mode and measure the same material after recalibrating if there is any interest?
>
What I would do is calibrate and then measure the scenes and bass disk. I would then slide out the duel and reload the PB2+ into the same corner and recalibrate and measure the same material with the meter in the same fixed position.
>
I just would like to have all the material thought out before actually doing it. Are there any suggestions to what scenes you would like to see the info on in regards? I had a list myself but I just had to rewrite this on account of my computer freezing up, so I will just suggest one.
>
( GONE IN 60 SECONDS ) When Nicolas Cage starts up Eleanor in the parking garage?
>
Both SVS options are and will be great but I just thought it would be fun to see how they compare as suggested in other Threads. Just one 25-31CS+ puts out a "tremendous" amount of bass.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Zack_R

Stunt Coordinator
Both SVS options are and will be great but I just thought it would be fun to see how they compare as suggested in other Threads.
Yes, I think it will be fun and informative even if it is unscientific, subjective and unprofessional:).

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
In calibrating I will be sure to keep track of the settings.I can set the gain on the QSC to what the PB2+ requires for calibration and see how close they are and post. I would think the PB2+ would need less boost with having a on-board plate amp?? Maybe not?___________>>>>>
>>
All great scenes Zack and I have all but ( Toy Story II ). I'm trying to enlist some help on plotting the scenes so we can have different Hz material. Maybe a range of 20 Hz progressing on up to 60 Hz? It would be nice to know and also give us a variety in material.____________>>>>>
>>
In my thinking this is not a bench race. In both units being SVS products, I covet both :wink:..

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Steve:

I have the 20-39PC+ and my PB2+ is on pre-order.

My pending review of the PB2+ will focus exclusively on the capabilities and merits of that sub.

With that said, for my own edification, I will be plotting the in-room FR of my 20-39PC+ one last time before the swap out, and I will VERY carefully match the calibration level of the PB2+ with the former 20-39PC+ and run six different in-room sweeps immediately after swap out.

I also have a bunch of DVDs lined up with known safe max SPL peaks and time stamps from the 20-39PC+ and I will comparing those directly to what the PB2+ is capable of in the same room with the mic in the same location.

I may start a separate thread after I post my PB2+ review that discusses the differences between the two subs.

Regards,

Ed

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Edward> I for one will definitely be looking forward to your Thread and all the juicy info it will contain.:cool:

Rich:Fi

Agent
Edward -

I absolutely can't wait for you review. I hope you get your new PB2+ soon!!! This should prove very interesting.

I'm also curious how the PB2+ will compare to the Velodyne HGS-18 - I know it's a huge price disparity but I'll bet the SVS will compare quite favorably.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
I've got a pretty killer review lined up. As Tom Petty says "Yeah the waiting is the hardest part".

I'll be running FR sweeps in six different states of tune, and MANY thanks to DougBW, I now have custom c-weighted to unweighted correction factors specific to my high end B&K SPL meter, and all in-room curves will be corrected to an unweighted response.

I've got a whole slew of killer DVD's lined up with time stamps, Master Volume settings, and SPL peaks. I'm calibrated to true Reference Level (Avia 85 dB Master Volume 00) so everyone can use my SPL data as a benchmark in their own HT rooms.

I've also got a bunch of demanding music challenges ready for subjective impressions that I already know how the PC+ handles, so that will be interesting too.

Anyway, I'm not here to steal Steve's thunder - hell you couldn't ask for a better SVS customer - he's buying two 25-31CS+ AND a PB2+! Put em all in one corner and look out - B4+ territory.

Steve, the SVS website has waterfall charts for many DVD passages that show the frequency and amplitude and you might want to research those to line up some really low and some mid range stuff. For example, the Ronin RPG hit is huge at 50 Hz, but doesn't dig ultra low.

Rich:

I can assure you the PB2+ will give the HGS-18 nightmares. The HGS series is world class and I have all the respect for that sub - I have heard it, and it rules. But the PB2+ will meet/exceed it in many/all measureable performance categories for less than half the street price. Doesn't surprise me - this has been SVS' M.O. from the outset.

Regards,

Ed

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
( I can assure you the PB2+ will give the HGS-18 nightmares ) As dollars spent per db and the quality of bass that the PB2+ will provide, I agree fully. Two very good reasons to be excited about being on the pre-order list.
>
Edward your upcoming thread sounds very well thought out and will be a very detailed review. Very professional. I am incapable of such a review and do not have the knowledge or the expertise to do so admittedly. This is why I stated at the beginning of this thread>>>>"This will be very non scientific and definitely unprofessional. Just me playing with my subs". Not a review by my standards or members of the Forum standards.
>
I just thought maybe it would be a little fun to calibrate the duel 25-31 CS+ and run some material and then do it in the same fashion with the PB2+ in the same placement.. Maybe a little bass disk comparison in my HT and thats all.
>
Thats a good idea Ed about bouncing on over to SVS's site and checking out there charts. This would give me the variety in material that I think would be needed. Who wants four to eight scenes all in the same ( Freq ) range?:frowning:

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Ya know what Steve, sometimes the ad hoc reviews are the most fun and informative.

While there is certainly a time and place for a well constructed review with lots of objective data, we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that this hobby is about fun and passion, and your enthusiasm is obvious and infectious in all of your posts.

When the kids in the room suddenly realize for the first time that the Monster's Inc. characters have BIG, DEEP, and SCARY footsteps, and their eyes light up with glee, or when you are RIGHT THERE on Omaha Beach with Hanks in SPR, it suddenly puts it all into perspective.

Ed

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Yes perspective has a way of evolving over time. In not the to distant past, I ran a couple of 15" subs that I and many others would not consider to be a slouch. After letting the 25-31 CS+ into the house my perspective took a turn. When the Brown Van shows up tomorrow with another 25-31 CS+ my perspective will change yet again.
>
Thank you for the nice words Ed. They are very Much appreciated.
>
Any new news out there on shipping status concerning the PB2+? I know SVS has been working around the clock on this one. No 1/2 hazard measures taken on their part to be sure._____________________________________________ ______>
>
Whoops! I see that has been answered. Good things take time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks