Due South - Platinum Pictures Release

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ian_H, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

They had Season 1 and 2 at Best Buy and I was wondering if anyone has taken a chance on them yet? They crammed like 6 or 7 episodes to a disc and the pictures on the packaging look like they are single sided. Just wondering how bad the quality is on these releases.

--Ian

2. Christi P

Christi P Agent

There was a thread about this on the DVDTalk.com bargain forum - apparently, the quality is not good.

3. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

Thanks for the info.

--Ian

4. Rick P

Rick P Supporting Actor

Really bad stuff...

just go to Amazon.ca and get 'the real thing'.

5. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

We figure that is what we have to do. But with the price difference I was just wondering how bad the quality was and hoping that they were watchable.

--Ian

6. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I have the first and second sesasons from the Canadian company, but was tempted to purchase this because the season 1 set I own doesn't include the 2 part pilot episode. But at the price of these at Best Buy, I assumed they were poor quality.

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Has anyone pulled the trigger on these Platinum Disc releases yet? I'd really like to get these sets, and the price of the PD sets is nearly too good to pass up, even if the quality is spotty. Plus the fact that they put the pilot in the correct order.

Are they really bad? Enough so to warrant spending the extra cash for imports? I'd heard the Canadian discs by AA were not that great either, so I'd be very disappointed to spend double the money for only a marginal improvement in PQ.

8. Corey_Smith

Corey_Smith Stunt Coordinator

I thought the Canadian releases of the set were very good, the only two disappointments being the pilot is on Season 3's set and episodes like Victoria's Secret & Mountie on the Bounty are shown as they were in Canada. I have VHS copies of Mountie... and the finale and they were edited together, and the original broadcast version of Victoria's Secret was one movie. But, I beleive the quality is very good on the DVDs from Canada, especially since they only put four episodes per side. I have a problem with one set but was able to get it replaced.

I strongly recommend if you are a fan to pay for the imports. You can get them direct from amazon.ca and save a bit more than importing them from the US site. Or you can go to Badlandsbooks.com and get an autorgraphed set.

9. MichaelScott

MichaelScott Stunt Coordinator

Actually I thought the Canadian ones from Alliance Atlantis were rather weak ,and the packaging is terrible. Had to replace two sets because the dics came loose. The picture isn't great by any stretch, but I haven't seen the Platinum ones sold here to compare.

10. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Does anyone know if the 3rd season set is still poor quality? Are the discs still single sided? It's 4 discs for 26 episodes. I ordered it from DDD, but it's unopened. I might consider returning it and buying season 4 from amazon.ca. I had 1-3 Canadian versions, so I only needed the second half of the 3rd season as shown in US, but a price search didn't reveal the AA release of S4, just found it today[​IMG]

11. Steven_J_H

Steven_J_H Stunt Coordinator

Steven
    The quality of the Platinum releases are poor, 3rd season included. I guess it depends what you are watching them on. For my purposes they are fine.