What's new

DuctStat Plug-inThermostat (1 Viewer)

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
Has anyone been able to use this inside an enclosed cabinet. I have this resting on my extremely hot Hughes E86 and I can't get it to kick the fans on. I have it set on "Auto Cool" as per the maufacturer's instructions and it only turns the fans on when I manually turn the knob. Then, it will not shut the fans off until I manually turn the knob back even though the box has cooled off. (The fans do their job extremely well.) I have played with the sensitivity switch with no results. I have also changed the position of the thermostat several times and have not found success. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?
Ralph

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
From what I could get from that website, you need air flowing through that unit. It was designed to be inside an air conditioning duct, and will turn on the fans after it 'senses' the flow of either hot or cold air. Once you create that flow, it will not turn off the fans until the flow stops. In other words, it is a slave device, relying on something else to start the flow, i.e., the air conditioner blower in your house. Unfortunately, there were no online docs at that site to read to assist further. I hope this explanation helps.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
The instructions in the box are just as vague as the on-line info. Smarthome's website has some verbage that makes me think I might set it to "AUTO HEAT" which really doesn't make any logical sense. I'm going to give it a shot anyway and see what happens. I thought about the flow of air being a factor as well. If this fails, I'll put the fans on 24/7. I'd rather have a $10 fan burn out every 10,000 hours than have my $500 receiver go down (again).

Thanks,

Ralph

Users who are viewing this thread