What's new

DuckTales & Chip N Dale Officially Coming!! (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Josh, Amazon's price is even a bit cheaper than Target/BB. Plus take into account: no tax, no shipping, and A9 discount (if applicable).

florence franks

Stunt Coordinator
Did this Ducktales always look this dirty and pixellated? Even audio seem to crack at times. Perhaps I'm being overly picky and need to get into my animation of the past mode.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Found the same at my local BB. Just got done placing an order with Amazon.

Chris S.

StacyV

Second Unit
For anyone who picked up the DuckTales release, can you please confirm for me if the set is closed captioned for the hearing impaired (closed captioned as opposed to subtitled). Thanks in advance.

Rob T

Screenwriter
my local Best Buy and Wal-mart did not have ducktales. :frowning:
so I ordered it from bestbuy.ca as soon as I got home this morning. :)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
There's nothing on the DVD packaging or the DVD box indicating close captioning. There may be an English subtitls option but it's not indicated for (CC).

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
RC, when a DVD or a VHS is earmarked for the hearing impaired they'll be marked as (CC). indicating that that program is authorized by the Closed Captioning group.

A DVD with Subtitles is not the same as Closed Captioning. Closed Captioning uses special code that interacts with special units capable of transfering that code so that someone who has one of those special units for decoding CC signals can view these programs.

English Subtitles on DVD's are not the same. English Subtitles are basically extra information embedded on the DVD to be displayed on the television screen.

Closed Captioning DVD's actually take the audiod and display the audio on screen as text on the bottom of the television screen, word for word.

Subtitles, like I said before, are not for the hearing impaired, they are extra information, which is added to the DVD itself and not neccessarily word for word transcripts on what you hear on the DVD itself. Most of the time, they are just shorthand versions of what what you hear on the DVD itself and most often contain sentence errors, grammatical errors and mispelled words.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I picked Duck Tales up at work yesterday (I work for Disney) and watched the first... 8 episodes last night. I honestly forgot what a great series this was.

I have absolutely no problem with the image... in fact I'll say it was better than I was expecting and about how I remembered it being when I was a kid.

Sound is Dolby Digital Mono and there's a little teeny tiny amount of hiss that you can barely make out when there's no audio. The art on each keepcase is different than the outer artwork. Now, what worried me was I was detecting a little bit of sync issues with the audio on a couple episodes... I mean, just a smidgen off, perhaps someone else can chime in if they see it. Might just be my equipment too.

I meant to pick up Chip and Dale too, but I remembered as I was already at my car.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
David McCutcheon over at IGN.com just posted his review here. About what I expected from this and DuckTales. I'm honestly just glad to have them on DVD.

Chris S.

Allison

Auditioning
I was the one that had Stacy ask the question -- I am profoundly hearing impaired & I picked up the DuckTales set yesterday. I watched DT when it originally debuted in 1987 and I know it was captioned then, because I remember. So I was upset to see there was no "CC" or "English subtitles" marked on the box -- ultimately, my purchases all boil down to whether the set is captioned or not. This is not the first time Disney has forgotten to put some indication of captioning or subtitling on the DVD's.

I am VERY glad to see that they are indeed captioned AND subtitled but am peeved at Disney. Image is another company that pulls this same stunt FREQUENTLY (for example, Freaks and Geeks).

I HATE subtitles with a passion for the exact same reason Mark stated, plus they are harder to read if you're, say, watching the DVD's in bed. With captions, they have that background thing going on and that helps me a lot. :)

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
For all those interested, Toon Disney will be airing Ducktales: The Movie on 11/10 9:10 AM EST.

Paul

RomanSohor

Second Unit
Ultimate Disney is also reporting that Ducktales: The Movie - Treasure of the Lost Lamp is being listed as a title that is "coming soon" for movie club members, exclusively. They also mention that previous "exclusives" are usually bare-bones DVDs with so-so transfers, and that most of the previous "exclusiveS" have been released in better editions to the general public eventually.

I am expecting 2006 to be a good year for us to finally get some of those Disney titles we've been craving, so they can milk DVD for all its worth before HD comes out.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
After picking up the first set I was kind of turned off that there was no 5.1 audio and while it was annoying for the first episode I was actually able to siet through the rest of the disk and finally the addictiveness of this show grew back on me. This is one DVD set that I'll always be happy to watch over and over again.

I like the fact that I forgot how much the animation rememberles that of famed WD comics artist, Don Rosa. Here's hoping that future sets will come out in a timely fashion.

Now to pick up Chip and Dales Rescue Rangers.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor

I think You mean Carl Barks. Don Rosa is alive and still writing/drawing for the comic series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks