What's new

DualDisc volume drop (1 Viewer)

MattLS

Agent
Hi all.
I recently picked up the DualDisc version of Nine Inch Nails' The Downward Spiral. When I listen to the DD 5.1 mix it sounds great. However, when I select the DVD-A 5.1 mix (via the analog ext. in CD input, of course) there are various sections of songs where the volume just drops for a period of time. Not to an incredibly low level per se, but definitely noticable. It first presents itself at about 1 and a half min. into track 3, Heresy. There is no db change on the volume display. Listening levels were fairly high. Haven't experimented with it at low listening levels. Any thoughts?

I'm using a Denon 2200 and Denon AVR-1804. Is it a decoding issue? Player? Receiver? I haven't experienced this with any other of my mult. ch. recordings. This is, however, my only DualDisc.
Thanks!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Can't say for sure, but I do know that the SACD version of this same album doesn't work with my 2900. The first half of the album is OK, but the last few songs progressively drop out more often and by Hurt, it just won't play. The DualDisc version of With Teeth works fine.

MattLS

Agent
Thanks for the replies!

Kevin,

Nope. Using the analog inputs for the DVD-A 5.1 mix as I would for an SACD 5.1 mix.

John,

If the SACD version would have the same issue with the 2200 as it does with the 2900, I'm glad I didn't fork out the extra $ for it.
:)

Has anyone else experienced these things with either version? I'm just curious if it's an issue with the disc or the player.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Do you have the latest firmware installed on the 2200? I just installed the update for the 2900 last week.

I have a separate SACD player, so it's no big deal to me. This is the first disc I've had a problem with on either player.

I like the SACD because it includes the second disc which is hires 2ch versions of all the bonus tracks. I bought it on the release date, so the SACD was only $2 more than the DD.

MattLS

Agent
Yeah, I just installed the latest firmware just this past Sunday actually. (I've had the player for about 9 months now and finally got around to it. lol.)

And actually, this raises a tangent question for me. This was the first time I've installed frimware on this or any other player. I followed the steps from Denon; watched the display say "writing" and then "complete" ejected the disc and turned the player off and then on again with the tray still open, as the instructions stated, and then resumed normal use. My question is - do I need to restart, or reset i guess, the player now to complete the install? The steps for resetting followed the instructions for the install but it wasn't clear as to if it was necessary or not. I'd hate to go through and setup the player again if I don't need to.

That second disc was definitely tempting for me on the SACD version. I was really torn on which to get. Took a few months of internal debating actually amongst my other music purchases. :) But at half the price, currently, I opted for the DD. I guess I was also curious to check out a DualDisc as well. As I mentioned earlier, this was my first one.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
With Teeth was my first DD, because the label did not release it on SACD, so it was a good excuse to try out DD.

As far as the firmware - if it didn't work, your player wouldn't be working now (according to the instructions), so I'm sure you're fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks