What's new

DualDisc Unveiled to Retailers (1 Viewer)

MatS

Screenwriter

it's not like these are Silverline signed artists
it is licensed product
you take what you can get when you don't own the rights

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Well the Jane Monheit and Robert Cray are decent releases.

Can't really show any enthusiasm about the other titles.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
O.K. anybody know where these things are? I went to Best Buy tonight and no one I talked to, including an assistant manager, had even heard of the format.

BTW: the DualDisc site is finally active.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Lance, I've talked to managers at Best Buy and Circuit City who don't have a clue as to what DVD-A is or SACD and what the difference is between them. I've also talked to people in those stores who run the departments that order the discs and they're not much better. I suspect that B&M retailers see more profit in stuff like games, extended warranty contracts, etc., and stuff like the new formats are like a couple of gnats that are fine out of their way. The management is under pressure to produce profits and something that may add the least amount to the bottom line is not something they care much about. I think both Best Buy and Circuit City near where I live may have both more game software and DVDs than they have CDs, certainly Circuit City for sure and while Best Buy may have a few more CDs (as well as some DVD-As and SACDs) it is not much of their floor space.

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
Warner will be releasing a whopping 2 titles on 26 October. One is Simple Minds the other is The Donnas. They are also releasing two more in November.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I picked up one of these to day at the Convergence Show in Detroit, MI. Dolby was giving them away.

The title is Robert Cray - Time Will Tell. It's a Silverline title.

You can see it's a little thicker than either a CD or DVD.

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
I have about 4 of them from the test market since I live in Seattle. It was hit or miss really. The Sony ones pretty much sucked. No high rez, hardly any multi-channel. The AC/DC disc said it had a superior PCM track of the albulm on the DVD side, turns out to be exactly the same as the PCM version on the CD side!!

The other companies were a bit better. Most had DVD-A tracks on them. Some were only stereo (POD) but most offered multi-channel as well.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
The one I have is packaged virtually identically to a CD except being marked as a Dual Disc on the front with a sticker and some explanation on the back as to what a Dual Disc is.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
DualDisc has a nice new curved jewel disc case that now includes a top and bottom spine so you can recognize the disc no matter what edge you are looking upon. Still the same size as a CD jewel case, but much more elegant.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks