Dual VTF-2s or go the single sub route?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Ross, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

I currently have on Hsu VTF-2 in my room & after hearing my friends dual VTF-2 setup, I decided I must make an improvement on my setup. The only problem I have with going dual vtf-2s is that the 2 subs would have to sit next to eachother in the same corner(I can afford to space them about 1.5 feet apart)-I have no other spot in the room to locate the 2nd sub-only spot is in the same corner with the original hsu. Would you recommend doing this? or should i go with a single sub that will perform better than my vtf-2(are ther any for a reasonable price?)? Also, why do multiple subs of the exact same make sound better than a single sub?

2. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

They will sound best sitting next to each other. Co-locating is thought to be the best! I have 2 VTF3's and I tried every placement option in my room and I always went back to stacking or side by side configuration. I got about a 6db increase adding second sub.

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Two subs shouldn't sound "better" than one. It just gives you more to work with. Two will give you the same volume with less effort than the single but it shouldn't sound "better".

4. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

Jeff, that would make sense. Perhaps they sounded better at my friends because they were not straining at higher volume levels compared to my single vtf-2 at the same volume levels?

5. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

I'd bet a single VTF-3 would be the best bet; deeper bass and more output. But rather than getting opinions here, I'd call Hsu directly and explain what you're looking for. They are very responsive to customer queries and obviously know their product.
    The VTF-2 has a great reputation- you should easily be able to sell it to help with the VTF-3 purchase.
    And I think there's another sub talked about alot on this forum. Also excellent.
    [​IMG]

6. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Well, dual VTF-2's might allow you to keep them both in max extension mode. Should be plenty of extension for most people. Plus, when you have 2 subs next to each other, they will play slightly lower. This is another benefit to the coupling that happens. The other more obvious benefit is that you get up to a 6 dB increase in volume, not just the standard 3 dB increase from doubling speakers.

You already got the one sub. If all you want is more volume, go for another!! Remember doubling a sub's amp wattage only gets you 3 dB, but adding an identical sub to the one you have usually gets you around 6 dB.

7. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

Thanks for the replies

8. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

I also am now looking at an Earthquake Supernova MKIV-12. It is a few hundred bucks more than the VTF-3 & is supposed to outperform it as well, but what I really like is the compact size of this unit. anybody have any experience with the supernova's?

9. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

If I am not mistaken, the Earthquake Supernova MKIV-12 is around $1500.00. You could almost get two VTF-3's...which would certainly outperform one SN.

10. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

Mike, I dont have room for 2 VTF-3s-I also did some more measuring & discovered I wont be able to set 2 vtf-2 subs side by side on on top of each other. Would 2 vtf-2s perform on par with a supernova MKIV-12?

11. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

Now, that I think about it I could do a cylinder sub(I did some moving around in my room-before I posted I couldnt do a cylinder sub)-what would anybody recommend in the

12. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

Do you have enough room for a SVS 25/31 PC Plus. Just need about 16" on the base...everything else goes up? I don't have any experience with the SuperNova. I did read a Widescreen review that gave the SUPERNOVA MKIV-15 glowing reviews...but that thing is close to $2000.00 I think they said that it had the highest output of any sub they had tested....or maybe just that particular reviewer. I swear...If I had it to due over again (I have two VTF-3's) I would look hard at the 25-31 PCplus. A budy of mine gave me a demo and it amazed me. I think it might have a littlle more output than a single VTF3.

13. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

14. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

Thanks mike

15. Ben Harper

Ben Harper Extra

Ted,
    I have the Earthquake Supernova MKIV-12, and it is absolutely amazing. Far superior to the Sunfire Signature it replaced. I paid $1,500 for mine, but I recently found it for $865, which is an absolute steal. Here is the link:
    http://www.discount-electronic.com/
    Trust me, you will not be dissapointed.
    Ben

16. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

Thanks for the link Ben

17. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

After some research I am starting to think that 2 VFT-2s stacked in a corner will outperform a lot of the subs I was looking at.

taking the data from Richard Hardesty, Subwoofer Buyer’s Guide, Fall/Winter 2000 off Hsu's website the numbers are:

In the 25Hz tuning position ( with one port plugged), output levels reached 108db at 45Hz, 108db at 40Hz , 107db at 35Hz, 109db at 30Hz and 104db at 25Hz

Tuned to 32Hz ( with both ports open), output increased to 112db at 45Hz, 112db at 40Hz and 110db at 35Hz, & 109db at 30Hz

That means with dual corner stacked Hsus I should hit in the 25Hz tuning position ( with one port plugged), 114db at 45Hz, 114db at 40Hz , 113db at 35Hz, 115db at 30Hz and 110db at 25Hz

& tuned to 32Hz ( with both ports open), 118db at 45Hz, 118db at 40Hz and 116db at 35Hz. & 115db at 30Hz

Tom Nousaine's tests also revealed that the VTF-2 in maximum output(32hz) put out 99db at 25hz & in the maximum extension it put out 93db at 20hz. That translates to 105db at 25hz in max output & 96db at 20hz in max extension.

I also have a small room 12X12X8 so the numbers might even increase in my case.

For comparison, after I told one dealer(the one who sold me my original vtf-2) that I was looking to upgrade my sub situation with either another vtf-2, or a single vtf-3, he recommended I get an Earthquake Supernova MKIV-12. here are the numbers from Widescreen Review on this sub:

113db@40hz, 113db@35hz, 113db@30hz, 106db@25hz & 104db@20hz

Not bad numbers, but the sub will cost me $850 with my Hsu VTF-2 trade-in or $1200 cash & I keep/sell my HSU.

I can also get the Klipsch RSW-15 for $800. I could sell my hsu for ~$300 & have the RSW-15 for $500, but I cant find performance numbers on this sub.

So far the vtf-2 is a pretty impressive combo for $500(remember I already have one vtf-2)

Anybody have any comments or suggestions?

Thanks

18. mark rush

mark rush Stunt Coordinator

Just remember that different test reports measure different ways, Tom N measures from 2 meters were most others measure a lot closer so you have a bigger DB reading, room size and other things come into play, I have 2 Paradigm pw2200 stacked in my rt side front corner, it sounds very good, half the fun is shopping so enjoy
    Mark

19. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

TED...have you found room for (2) VTF-2's?

20. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

Yeah, mike i do. I rearranged & now have room to stack 3 vtf-2s on top of each other.