What's new

Dual uber 15's, is anyone actually thinking of doing this? (1 Viewer)

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
Mike, 20L of Vd :eek:
Dustin,
You thinking what I'm thinking.......maybe I should go with 6-8 of them!! :D
Best part for me is that for my current HT the dual Tempest I built is doing a VERY good job, so I'm in no hurry to build one. This way others can wait for it to finally start shipping and play around with them and see what works & what doesn't. I plan on building a new house in 2 years with a dedicated HT room. I have 9 Klipsch towers in my 7.1 system and really want a KILLER sub to match. I regularly watch at REF level in my current HT and don't see that changing.
When watching a movie I like to hear explosions so loud you want to duck out of the way. I'm thinking 4 Ubers in an IB would actually make me duck from falling drywall....and that's a GOOD thing.
Can't wait to see some SPL results from this driver...Mike

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
If you can do it, I'd definitely recommend the IB route. As I've mentioned before, you can also combine the LT circuit with IB loading to get any response shape you want. Can't imagine anything better than that, except perhaps a dipole sub flat to 10Hz. :)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I worry about your hearing a little bit Mike. Well I guess I shouldn't say I worry, but that I think you should maybe start worring.

I'm curious, you got a spl meter don't you? Set it to fast and A weighting then watch a few action scenes at the level you like to watch at. Report back with the min, max and rough average output level you observed through several of these scenes.

That is my eventual goal for the sub that will be in my system Jack. A pair of these, or maybe if I get lucky, the 18" version Dan spoke of earlier will end up a reality in an IB with a good parametric eq and possibly a LT circuit. Then again who knows what will be out there in 2-4 years which is about when my dreaming may have a remote chance of becoming reality.

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
Dustin,
You thinking what I'm thinking.......maybe I should go with 6-8 of them!!
This sort of displacment is a beautiful thing. :cool:
The next question then becomes how you put it to use, and if you want to go further? There is another direction to go rather than just louder.:rolleyes
Right now I'm playing with over 15L of displacement in only 3 cu.ft. of space. Such a small box does limit efficiency, but it can certainly be put to use in the REALLY low subwoofer range. In most rooms two of these will do what I want. :cool:

A

Anthony_Gomez

Hey Dan,
I hope you plan on making a large batch of these drivers! Looks like we will need it!...especially with people wanting 4, 6, and 8 of these!!!
..and I thought 2 would be enough
:D
(oh...any new news dan or kyle?)

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
I want 2, myself..
Just wondering if I could get away running 2 of them off my Mackie FR1400 (500Wx2 4ohms)?? Getting parts from the US adds up quick so im trying to stay away from the PR design with these enclosures, if I can..
Hopefully they will work fine in a larger ported box, maybe 8" port.. Would I have enough juice to run two sealed units? I already have my BFD.
Man, I can't wait ;)

A

Anthony_Gomez

in 150L (heavy stuffing) you can get ~110db at 20hz with a Q=0.6. F3=36hz.

You are only hitting about 20mm of xmax at 20hz this way.

Brad Dixon

Stunt Coordinator
I been trying to use unibox but having computer problems with it(wish this driver's specs were in adire's lspcad version :) ). After measuring our current end table I could do a box 22w x 20d x 18h exterior dimensions which would fit underneath it. Internal volume ~90L(assuming .75" mdf and 5l per driver). Any thoughts on a dual in this box? I realize it's pretty small for BUT was thinking if an LT circuit was used it'd be ok. Why spend 200 on pr's when you could hopefully get another driver for 100 more? I'm probably missing something.
I have 24" x 72" sonotube which I had planned to use for a dual tempest, so it's not that I MUST meet this small box requirement. It's just that I think it'd be much more impressive to move the walls with such a small box.
Just wondering and thinking,
Brad

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
Anthony,

I was hoping 22" cube (so I could locate both subs together), but oviously that wouldn't work with ports. So I could make another coffee table sub to replace my tempest one.. It is around 7 ft3 total. As for the other box, it could be the same size or a little bigger, would prefer smaller though.. For SPL's, maybe 120, in room.. I was hoping for the equivelant of 4-5 Tempests, i have 2 right now. My room is 2400 ft3 with a couple openings.

Craig

A

Anthony_Gomez

few things. You are actually looking at about 80L after you account bracing (used a basic 1.5" thickness all around) and atleast a 1" baffle.

with this driver, you need ATLEAST 110L with a PR/Vent arrangement.

in 80L, you are almost at Q=0.6. With your 1000watts into 4ohms bridged, you are getting 107db at 20hz..the nice roll off is easy to EQ...plus you won't be exceeding xmax at all (even down to 10hz if you figure the sharpish BL drop at the edge of the xmax).

if you had 2 drivers in this space with only 500watts, you still get 107db at 20hz

..save the money and put one driver in there for the same output=)

A

Anthony_Gomez

Craig, the 22" cube is 110L. you would have to use the 3kg 18" Pr's from stryke...a pair of them. with 1000watts, you are looking at about 113db anochaic. figure 6db from corner loading and a little room gain, and you are good to go. room placement will drastically effect the resulting spl, so 120db may be easy or hard.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Geez, it seems like only yesterday that anything near this kind of excursion was unheard of. Now, we're talking about it like it's old news.

ya.....kinda funny in retrospect=)

the reason I mentioned it is that is only 20mm out ot the 35.

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
Anthony,

With your 1000watts into 4ohms bridged, you are getting 107db at 20hz
the amp can do 1400 watts bridged mono at 4ohms but I was hoping to run it at 4ohms or 2ohms stereo (500w/700w), one channel to each woofer, in seperate enclosures.

I thought even a Paradigm PS-1200 could do 107db at 20hz, that is why I figured 120db.

is there any other way to get bass equivalent to 4 tempests? maybe a Linkwitz circuit? I just didn't think sealed boxes can get the nice LFE bass that I like.. This will be for 100% movies LFE.
Craig

A

Anthony_Gomez

is there any other way to get bass equivalent to 4 tempests? maybe a Linkwitz circuit? I just didn't think sealed boxes can get the nice LFE bass that I like.. This will be for 100% movies LFE.

A linkwitz transform does not let you get a speaker any louder...it just changes your resonce curve. with or without eq, you with get the same SPL with the same amount of power.

If this is 100% HT, then how about just going with a PR'd box. It will suit you much better. what are your final extern dimensions that you can have? If you can net 130L tuned to 17hz with 1400watts, then you will be cracking some drywall=)

A

Anthony_Gomez

Witht he UBER15's, you only need 400L total for BOTH drivers (200L each)! You will be tunning to 16hz in that enclosure.

with that type of spl with that port tunning, you will HAVE to go with a PR system. maybe someone will have another opinion, but the port will either be insanely long, or port noise will be way way too much.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Are you sure you don't mean the PW2200. The PS1200 can't come anywhere near 107dB at 20hz. I don't think it could even do 90dB at 20hz.

The PW2200 averaged from 25-60hz is 107dB. Max output is 112dB (don't know the exact frequency it can do this at though). And at 20hz it is only 91dB.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks