What's new

Dual uber 15's, is anyone actually thinking of doing this? (1 Viewer)

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
Brad,

you should see how much it will cost me to get two of those drivers to Canada.. Probably about $1200 CDN, OUCH.. I think it will be worth it though. I hate the waiting, I was on the original Shiva pre-order and almost pulled all my hair out.. Maybe once Dan gets some solid numbers, I might build my boxes to kill the time till I get the drivers in my hands!

Craig

ps. what is the ohm rating of each driver? are they dual voice coil? sorry, don't have time to look through the 14 page original post.

A

Anthony_Gomez

They are single 4ohm coils IIRC.
I personally would like to have a pair of UBER15's with 2ohm coils. I could get my amp up from 800watts/channel to 1250watts/channel :D

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I feel kinda bad for my K2 right now. It's just running a pair of SV12's at the moment. After hearing them with the K2 though I may never go back to plate amps! I wonder if I can sneak a K1 in the house?

Brian

A

Anthony_Gomez

I just could find no way to fit 4 of them into my place!...unless I take the bed out of my room=).....

oh wait!...just build my bed on a 17" riser!! I could have an enclosure something like 17"x75"x54"!!! That is good for ~ 800L hehehe...now...how to lug that enclosure up to the second floor of the apartment and around the tight corner!=)

A

Anthony_Gomez

Brian, what the hell are you doing with a pair of SV-12's on the K2!!!!...you should have atleast 8 of them on that amp=)

A

Anthony_Gomez

not like I can afford 4 of them though=(....but 118.5db ANOCHAIC SEALED would be very nice...especially with just one amp=)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Tony,
I hooked it up to the SV12's to make sure it worked since I bought it used. It beats the hell outta my PSA1 amps that I was powering the SV12's with, so I figured I'd leave it there until I either got my 1803 built. Then we start talking about the Uber15's from Dan, or an LT'ed 1503...
So now I've got an 1803 that needs a new home! Wonder if I can talk that buddy of mine that's about to build a house to let me build him a 14ft^3 enclosure for that bad boy! :)
Brian

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
Anthony & Jack,
Sorry for throwing such a vague response out there. I'll try to clarify. I had posted a few questions on the "uber" thread and most responses said that it wouldn't offer much more SPL than my current dual Tempest and that mine would go lower. Perhaps they were thinking of a single Uber, but I specificaly asked about a dual as that's what I would build.
If a single Uber will only offer another 5dB to me it's not worth building a new $$$ sub as I'm already hitting peaks of 127dB with mine, so it's not like it doesn't have decent output.
BUT...I'll pose the question again and hopefully you guys can educate me: compared to my current dual Tempest sub, how would a dual Uber (assuming in a large ported sonosub enclosure, preferrably my current 480L one)
compare to/outperform my current sub???
How low?? 15Hz or lower?
How loud?? 135dB @1m?
What kind of amp we talking to drive dual Ubers??
What size enclosure are we talking for 4 of them?? Yes I want CRAZY house destroying bass. Have to remember I have 8 Klipsch towers in my HT, so I gotta keep up with them.
If starting from scratch I wouldn't hesitate to build one, but since I already have a good sub, I need some real convincing to justify shelling out $1500+ to build one. Size is NOT an issue as the wife has already accepted the current beast, so that's not an advantage.
I am being serioius, so your responses are greatly appreciated as I respect your opinions and bow to the guru's of sub specs. Hope you don't mind me leveraging off of your knowledge :D
TIA...Mike

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Well, just for ballpark figures, if we accept Dan's estimate that a single Uber has an output advantage over dual Tempests, and approaches three of them with a 10% THD limit, then two of them would offer at least a 6db advantage over dual Tempests, which is equivalent to quadrupling the power.
As far as the other specs, it looks like it can go at least as low as a Tempest in a similar alignment (in a smaller box), it has an even lower Fs and similar Qts. The enormous excursion makes even below 16Hz seem reasonable in a LT setup.
I guess I'd give each driver over 1000 watts to make it worthwhile.
Jack (not a guru. ;) )

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
Jack (not a guru)
No, but you play one on TV, er I mean this forum :D
Thanks for the feedback. So how would two of those work out in my 480L sonosub, currently tuned to 17Hz with 2-6" x 20" ports??
Also since I planned on building a second dual Tempest when I move to a bigger house in a few years how would a dual Tempest/dual Uber combo work out if placed in the same corner?
Since I'm on a roll with the questions what if I wanted to put 4 of them in a ported enclosure. What size am I looking at? I'm assuming I'd still want about 1000watts per driver, correct? Would this be better than a 4 Tempest IB?
Thanks again...Mike

A

Anthony_Gomez

Mike, the biggest problem you will run into will pe with the port. with the 1503, you could get away with a 6" port with dual flares, but with this UBER15, I wouldn't want to use less than 8". Actually, I personally would go the PR route with these subs. with the excursion on these things, they do look interesting with an IB!. with 4 drivers, you can run them parallel/stereo for 2ohms/ch on a pro amp. It will let you get the most juice out of your amp.

an IB with these looks mighty intersting!

A

Anthony_Gomez

Jack,

I think 200L at 16hz is a little too flat to 20hz. I think that with any room gain and you'll get a noticable hump...but then agian, some people prefere to boost there anyways=)

If it were me, I would probably go with 150L to 16hz...give a nice rolloff. Your opinions?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
If it were me, I would probably go with 150L to 16hz...give a nice rolloff. Your opinions?
I inevitably design with my own room in mind which, although small, is not "tight" and doesn't afford me much room gain. In many, if not most, cases the rolloff you have in mind will work well to flatten response in-room, in this you agree with Mark Seaton (a good place to be).
My own preference is to try for anechoic flatness assuming no "help" from the room, then eq out (I always assume at least a BFD will be used) any humps down low. This should have a very nice effect on headroom and power reserves. Also, some bass boost around 20Hz is really not perceived as "boominess", as a boost at 30-40Hz is. It can actually help the perceived balance if one is listening at below reference levels due to our reduced sensitivity to low-level bass.
Finally, a smaller enclosure makes adequate porting even more unlikely, although a 150L/16Hz Fb PR box looks very nice indeed with dual Stryke 18" models.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jack,

I was going to say the same thing. Since my "open floor plan" makes my whole house my room I'd rather have a little hump around 20Hz since I doubt I'll get much gain even with corner loading. And seeing as I only have 1 corner to load, there's not much placement flexibility.

Those dual PR's are starting to look better and better!

Brian

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
Thanks for the responses guys. I've been leaning towards an IB for the new HT and 4 of the Ubers just might be what I'm looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks