Dual uber 15's, is anyone actually thinking of doing this?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad Dixon, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Brad Dixon

Brad Dixon Stunt Coordinator

I was bored last night so I read through the build a subwoofer thread and noticed something. A few people mentioned building a dual. I just had to ask if anyone was really planning on building a dual(sealed or pr).

If I understand correctly that would be aprox 5 tempests? Even for this forum isn't that a touch past overkill? And what would you use for an amp to drive to max output? Or is that the reason for a dual? Not having to push it to the max to reach a given spl?

Just had to ask,
    Brad

2. AndersP

AndersP Stunt Coordinator

I have a hard time to see the benefits.
    You build one and if that´s not enough you build another one and so on.
    Must be easier to place a couple of boxes in a room than one double the size. With a little work you can kill more of the standing waves in the room with placing a couple of smaller boxes strategically.
    In worst case scenarios you could always stacke´m on top of each other to maximise the use of a good corner.
    Talking output dB:s, it must be more economical to buy one extra driver to get 6 extra dB:s of sound pressure, than buying 3X amp - power to get the same effect. ( depending on driver linearity at high power levels )

4. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

Along with everything else that's been said, another good reason would be to have the abilty to mount them on opposite sides of an enclosure as a push-push and cancel the tremendous forces these things will induce on the box when driven hard.
    NTM, I think two drivers just sound better. [​IMG]
    Pete

5. Pete hit the last comment right on the head!

Brian owens has an enclosure that is too light and he can make it jump with his 1803. (he is in the process of fixing that problem though).

I currently have dual 1503's (click on the link below).
    the enclosure doesn't vibrate at all!..let alone jump. If it does vibrate it is from floor vibrations making its way through the enclosure.

6. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

I was going to, but found out it wouldn't offer anything over my dual Tempest.

I'll either do another dual Tempest or maybe a dual BP?? as I want MAXIMUM SPL!!!

7. Cannot offer more than your dual tempests?

sure the Uber 15's can use a whole lot of power (trade off for their smaller enclosure ...300L vs 500L), but you can get another 5db at 20hz!..so are you saying that with your current amp the ubers don't ovver much more, or that they don't offer much more period?! ..sorry, your posts is perplexing to me.

8. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

9. just using sd anc xmax, it is more like 2x....but none the less, it is still 2x=)...two Uber15's = 4 temests!...only requires mondo power=)

lets see....get 4 of them and wire them parallel stereo with 1250watts per channel from my Crown K2=)...500L total (that is what a dual tempest runs at right?
    ..and I am cranking 118db at 20hz anochaic SEALED!!!!!..with a single amp....muahahahahaha

10. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

11. so jack, how many are you going to get=)

12. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Just a pair. [​IMG] Well, maybe just one and some mondo PR's.

13. I wonder if it is possible to get the Ubers in a 2ohm version. That way I can use my K2 at 2ohm stereo=)

14. Brad Dixon

Is there a clinical definition for this illness? I can just imagine some home theaters sounding like when I was at a car audio competition.
    Don't get me wrong I'm basically going nuts waiting to build an all out sub(decided to hold off on the dual tempest because of possible move and that's not exactly a small tube[​IMG] ). Not sure if I'll still go dual tempest or this new driver but from a money standpoint it's not that much more out of pocket, so probably use the new driver with a smaller enclosure. We'll see when the time comes.
    Brad

15. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Mark Seaton

16. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Even if one doesn't have such lofty (to say the least) performance goals, there's something to be said for running well under the limits of a system, for having gobs of headroom and the lack of compression that comes with it.

17. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

I don't mean to sound stupid, but what is the uber 15? is this Mr. Wiggins new driver? the one we are all waiting for on the pre-order?

Craig

18. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Craig,

Yes, that's the driver.

Brian

19. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

Thanks Brian.. how did they come up with that name? Oh, well in that case.. im gonna replace my dual tempest setup with dual uber 15's.. I was thinking of building 2 ported boxes, like Dan said 22" cube tuned to somewhere around 18-20hz.. I wonder if a Mackie FR1400 will be enough to power two of them (500w/[email protected] - 700w/[email protected]).. What is the ohms of each driver? I already bought my BFD in anticipation of the setup..

I sent Dan an email last Wednesday and he said that they are still working out the kinks in the prototype and it is still a couple weeks off with no leads on the price or when the pre-order will begin..

20. Brad Dixon

Craig,
    As far as the name I doubt that's what it's going to actually be. I just saw it called that in a previous post when the design/idea for it was being thrown around so I used that name was all.
    As far as power I have no idea but I'm hoping a QSC plx 3002 will be enough for a dual. This looks to be a decent amp, but if I looked hard enough I could probably find a used crown k2 for only a couple hundred more and I believe that amp is very popular.

1-uber 15 = 300(assuming 300 for pre-order price)
    plx 3002 = 900
    total = 1200 (1500 if a dual is built)
    ------
    2 tempest = 300
    HS500 = 550
    total = 850 *note* if an ava250 is used it'd be only be 480

So I guess my original comment about the new driver not being that much more really wasn't correct. It is gonna be a bit more. But considering the amount many probably spend on their theater it's not exorbitantly more.

Brad