What's new

Dual Tempest Wiring Help (1 Viewer)

Garth

Auditioning
OK I'm Almost done but I'm, questioning if I wired it right. I hooked each driver's vc's in parallel (+) to (+),(-) to(-) Then hooked the drivers together in series Driver1(+) to terminal cup(+), Driver1(-) to Driver2(+) Driver2(-) to terminal cup(-). Is this right? Is there a better way?
Thanks
Garth

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
If you wanted to achieve an single 8 ohm load, then yes.

Better way? Dunno if it's better, but you could have series wired each driver's VCs and paralleled the two drivers for the identical 8 ohm load.

Pete

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
So are you using a single amplifier like a 500 or 1000 watt sub amp @ 4 ohms?

If you wired the dual voice coils on each tempest in parallel you have 4 ohms for each tempest. Then, if you wire those 2 tempests in series you get an 8 ohm load on the amp. This might not result in enough power for the tempests to flex their wings.

If you wire those 2 tempests parallel you'll get a 2 ohm load on the amp. This might be too much for the average HT amp.

I would go for a 4 ohm total load if your amp can handle it. You can get a net 4 ohm load by using the single 8 ohm voice coil from each tempest and shorting the other coil on each driver. This will result in 2 tempests each 8 ohms. Wire those 2 tempests in parallel to the amp and you'll have 4 ohms.

Garth

Auditioning
I'm using the Bash500S which is rated at:
Into 4ohms 550 Watts
Into 8ohms 375 Watts
I ran it last night as per my above post and WOW that's some huge bass. I thought if I only used 1 vc and ran them at a 4ohm load I wasn't using the driver to the max? This wiring is all greek to me so please spell out any fixes with the (+) and the (-).
Thanks
Garth

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Given 2.83Vrms input here's how some connection schemes compare (from the Tempest white paper):

Single Tempest, coils in parallel, 4 ohms - 92.1dB
Single Tempest, coils in series, 16 ohms - 86.1dB
Single Tempest, drive one coil, 8 ohms - 86.1dB

Dual Tempest, coils in parallel/series, 8 ohms - 92.1dB
Dual Tempest, coils in series/parallel, 8 ohms - 92.1dB
Dual Tempest, drive one coil each in parallel, 4 ohms - 92.1dB

That last case has the advantage that you can put a variable resistor on the unused terminals and use Resistively Damped Operation (RDO) to vary the Q value. But it also has the disadvantage that a single voice coil is doing all the work rather than splitting the work load between the two and the amplifier is driving the tougher 4 ohm load. Keep in mind that you'll only get the full +6dB if the amplifier is able to maintain the same output voltage for both 8 and 4 ohm loads. At 4 ohms this requires twice the power output.

Basically, unless you planning to use RDO I'd use all the voice coils. And unless you using more than the linear output of a single Tempest then there's no real advantage over using a single Tempest, coils in parallel. But I'm sure you'll find some occaision to crank this puppy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks