What's new

dual tempest setup (1 Viewer)

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
i am going to buld 2 tempest sono tubes. the tube will be 6 feet long and 18 inch in diamiter. they will be horisonal in a tabble type of setup so the 2 tubes will be stacked with a 1 inch gap between tubes. now hwere is my queston should i put both drivers on 1 end or should i stager them? now i have enough left over 3/4 mdfb ti buld the ends with 2 layers of it nd olny i layer in the tube and one on the outside with a gruve fot the tube to set in. is this enough or should i get more bord. also should i go pr or port? and if i go pr should i get a 18 pr and go with a 20 inch tube?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
MDF is cheap, buy what you need to do the job.

Since you have long height dimension, you might as well stick with the cheaper ports. PRs are better suited for small enclosures where you can't get the length of port inside the enclosure.

I'd put both drivers at the same end, no staggering them.

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
should i use polly fill? and how much? actuley i am going 5 feet witch would be 249 liters tuned to 16 hz i am starting this weekend with the begening stuff i still have to pick out my ports and how many ports 1 or 2 and do i want a dual input cup also do i have to get the kits or can i just buy the flaired ends and atach pvc to them?also with a 5 foot span will i need a center brace? also would it be ok if the tubes tuch or would it be beter if i had a 1 inch space between them?

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I couldn't find just the flared ends anywhere so I went with flared port kits from partsexpress.com
They were like 10 bucks cheaper than adires site and they are the same ports.
Polyfill helps deaden the sound in the tube, and I think it's very appropriate for your sub. Something fun to do before you screw in the driver is put your ear or head inside the enclosure when it's stuffed with polyfill. You will experience utter silence in your ear(s) and it is quite uncomfortable. :)
I paid $2.50 per 1lb bag of 100% polyester fiber fill from my local fabric store. I'd say go for the cheap stuff as it works great perfect for the job.
Call me weird but I also try and sing low vocal tones into the sub and try and find that "tuning" point when my voice becomes very loud. It works in small empty enclosures but not polyfilled giants.
If it's a cylinder it is very structurally sound, also because there's only 1 plane + the top and bottom to resonate unlike box enclosures which have 6.
I would space them so they don't touch.

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
i have decided to go with 1 tube foe now and do 1 later my end caps consist of 2 layers of 3/4 mdfb is that enough? now my last queston should i do 1 or 2 4 in flaried ports?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks