What's new

Dual SVS Ultra with different amplifier (1 Viewer)

Stephen Wayne

Auditioning
I recieved the Dual SVS Ultra/ Samsung S-1000 amplifier.

My system prior to that was as follows:
Definitive Tech BP2000TLs for Front LR
Definitive Tech CLR3000 for Center
Definitive Tech BP2004TLs for Surrounds
Outlaw 950 Preamp
5 Marantz MA700 200watt monoblocks

I had a Velodyne FSR-15 for the LFE only. This was a wonderfull combination. From reading about SVS on this sight I decided to try them out. The Velodyne sounded fantastic but it did not rattle your teeth like I wanted.
I sold the Velodyne. The SVS system blended in perfectly with what I already had. It put out much more sound pressure, but I still felt like I was missing some LFE detail and depth. So, I took two of the MA700s and put them on the SVSs. I took the Samsung and put it on the BP2004s.
Recalibrated everything and OH MY GOD what a difference. The detail, depth and power is unbelievable. If you want the most out of your SVS subs I highly recommend putting a highquality HIFI amp on them. I am so excited about how they sound now.
Thanks for letting me share my experiences, this is a wonderfull sight. ;)

Zack_R

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info. I'm glad you are happy with your dual Ultra combo. It would be great if you could take a measurement with an spl meter to determine, if in fact, the mono's have more low bass extension than the Samson amp when paired with the Ultra.

I have a single CSU myself and it's plenty potent for my needs so I can't imagine how two must sound. I didn't read in your post if you performed a calibration with an spl meter or not. If you didn't then you still may not have your system optimized across the subs' frequency spectrum. They say it can be difficult getting two subs working together without bass cancellation occuring. When I set up my Ultra, the right front speaker and the SVS (sits right beside it) were cancelling one another and giving my a 4-5 db dip between 60-80 hz. Once I corrected for that by reversing the polarity on the sub I had too much bass and had to back down on the sub volume in the receiver.

Stephen Wayne

Auditioning
I did recalibrate with a meter, and I am currently waiting for the SVS 01 subsonice filter to come in.:D
This should help me tweek any phase problems I may have.
I did not take SPL measurements before or after, but I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that everything in my listening room can tell a difference. Everythings vibrates more, my sofa shakes more. I can feel it much more, which is very important to me. :)

Ned

Supporting Actor
You are saying the Marantz amps were audibly different from the Samson? (skeptical)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks