Dual SVS SS or 1 B4Plus?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Derrik Draven, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    I know that the B4+ has 4 of the upgraded TC-Sounds drivers but, the SS has an even better driver. How much better?

A pair of SS's will run you about $1100 MORE than the B4 Plus.

Same amp, same interconnects, same eq. Yes, there are 2 subs with the SS deal but, there are 4 drivers with the B4 deal. Considering what's shoehorned into the B4 box, I can't imagine it being much easier, if at all, to build than 2 SS's.

So, the "top of the foodchain" cylinder sub that SVS sells is going to cost you more than their "top of the foodchain" box sub.

What do you get for your extra money?

If you set up both setups (SS/B4+) in the exact same room, which one will deliver more "oomph"?

Btw, I'm not trying to insinuate that either sub isn't worth it. On the contrary, I'm a loyal SVS customer. Bought my 1st one back before they had hardly sold even 300 subs. Just recently bought a 16-46pc+ to go with my 16-46pci.

I'll be upgrading in the not too distant future and, one of the above setups in coming home to me.

Just wondered which one would be the heavier hitting setup.

D

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

I believe Tom V said that it takes about 3 SS to match 1 B4+. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

3. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

I wonder how a pair of PB2-Ultras stacks up against the B4+ or the pair of SS ??

4. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Derrick:

The SS doesn't offer much material performance advantage over the Ultra. It is tuned a bit differently, but that's about it.

What it does offer is exclusivity and second-to-none build quality.

I gleaned a little insight on the SS from a Ron Stimpson post over at SPOT:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++
    The cylinders are an exceptionally costly low-void pressure formed plywood (yes, plywood) with an underlayer of birch topped with hand finished extra thick vertical sheets of clear maple. Even some high-end OEM subs don't cost as much as the raw SS cylinder alone.

The "top cap" of the SS (no counterpart on the Ultra) is another solid maple precision machined and hand finished item.

The SS uses a custom USA-made "ring grill" built in a factory that also makes precision aerospace parts. The type of material, the height, the finish, the special damping material on the edge of the grill got countless hours in both the SVS R/D and design offices. Every part works together.

All told the SS is probably underpriced for what it takes to build. SVS doesn't market it as a whopping performance improvement over the Ultra. But then again - customers buying Rolex watches don't care that their $5,000 watch doesn't keep better time than a similar looking $200 Citizen.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++

So there you have it. And I agree with the above poster, the B4-Plus will outperform the dual SS combo. But customers don't buy the SS for its sheer performance alone. It is a stunning and gorgeous subwoofer that would be at home in the most upscale and exclusive HT/music systems.

Regards,

Ed

5. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    Thanks for the info Ed. That's all I needed to know. [​IMG]

6. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

The owner of hometheaterspot.com ( Paul C) did a review on the SS which can be found in the SVS section.

Scott