What's new

Dual SVS PB-2000s or Single SVS PB-4000? (1 Viewer)

Dual SVS PB-2000 or Single SVS PB-4000

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blake88

Auditioning
Real Name
Blake
I'm looking at purchasing either dual SVS PB-2000 subs or a single PB-4000 sub. Which is better? The prices are similar, the PB-4000 is $300 more ($1,900 vs $1,600). This is for movie watching only and will be paired with a 7 channel SVS prime system. The living area is large and open floor plan, see attached layout. Total area is 973 SF with 8.5' ceilings.

Cast your vote!

Attachments

• Basement Layout with Notes.pdf
    49.6 KB · Views: 333
  • Projector Wall.jpg
    Projector Wall.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 415

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Welcome. With that room my guess would be dual but I think it's totally dependent on your [measured] room characteristics so there is no simple answer. Dual subs are mostly meant to solve issues with dead zones, etc,. In my room my single SVS PB-12 Plus/2 is complete overkill and has to be kept at around 40% to avoid shaking the walls.

Blake88

Auditioning
Real Name
Blake
Thanks John! This is my first theater setup, so I'm new. I don't know how to calculate "measured room characteristics".

How big is the room you are running the PB12 in?

Also, I see you are using the Prim Towers. What do you think about the bookshelves as front L and R speakers instead of the towers? I would like to mount the book shelves on the wall for a cleaner look, but I don't want to sacrifice sound too much. Do you think I can get by using the bookshelves instead of the towers for my setup?

Thanks!

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Only mount speakers on a wall that are designed to be mounted. Do so with other speakers can (and probably will) make them sound/perform differently. Many speaker are ported on the back and expect to have a few feet of breathing room.

FWIW - I'm not a fan of any on wall speaker (other than surrounds). When on the wall you can't angle them for best sound. Your stuck with the angle of the wall.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
How big is the room you are running the PB12 in?
My room is roughly 21.5 ft long x 11 ft wide with a standard 8 ft ceiling.
Also, I see you are using the Prim Towers. What do you think about the bookshelves as front L and R speakers instead of the towers? I would like to mount the book shelves on the wall for a cleaner look, but I don't want to sacrifice sound too much. Do you think I can get by using the bookshelves instead of the towers for my setup?

The Prime Bookshelves use the exact same woofer and tweeter as the towers. In the case of the tower there are just two of these woofers and also a midrange driver. I think you'll be fine with them anchoring your system as long as you're happy with reasonable [not insane as is the case with me] volume levels and incorporate a decent sub but @David Willow is correct. The Prime Bookshelves are not designed to be wall mounted. I have them in my Theater serving surround back duty.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My advice is always to avoid scaling back just for the sake of scaling back. The floor standing version will always be more capable. You gain a LOT with the Prime Tower over the shelf model. If you're considering the tower, then to me it's a no-brainer. The towers will remain more relaxed at higher volumes, and you go from 2-way to 3-way. In my book, it wouldn't even be a question.

Regarding subs, and I tend to be in the minority around here both on the tower/bookshelf issue and single/dual subs. The fact is, the 4000 beats dual 2000s in every conceivable way... except that it's a single sub. When dual subs are set up properly, which is complicated, they have a benefit for smoothing out response throughout the room. BUT, when they're set up poorly, they make it worse, and they're often set up poorly. The 4000 is just significantly better at doing what a sub is intended to do. Do you want more, or do you want better? Having said that, I'd take a look at Power Sound subs as well. The S3010 and V1811 are both cheaper than the PB4000. They're worth a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks