What's new

Dual SVS 20-39cs or single Ultra? (1 Viewer)

John_RK

Grip
Yes, I know it depends on room size, listening preferences, associated equipment, etc. But...
Has anyone had the opportunity to compare dual 20-39cs vs. a single Ultra? If so, what were your impressions?
This forum has sold me on SVS, and based on correspondence with Tom V, I'm leaning toward the dual 20-39cs package. But since there's little price difference between that set-up and the single Ultra, I'd be interested if anyone has extended listening experience with both.

J

John Morris

Hi John: I have had extended listening with both the dual 20-39cs and now a single Ultra and I have to admit that the dual cs setup seemed to be a tiny bit louder? Yet, when I consider the SAF of a single sub, I had no other choice. Still, and this may be my imagination, my Ultra is slightly tighter, and more musical than a pair of cs subs. If my memory is accurate, I'd get the single Ultra every time. Yet, when I had the dual cs subs, I already owned more and better bass than I ever owned in my audio snob life!!! I don't think you could go wrong with either choice!!!
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
John:
I second what merc says in that I don't think you could wrong with either. If TV is recommending the duals then he has his reasons. I personally have the CS Ultra and in my living room it more than rocks the house.
Parker

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Twin 20-39cs/S700 will have about the same clean headroom as a single CS_U down to the 20hz range. From maybe 30-35hz and up...the twins will have a couple dB advantage. The CS_U has the footprint advantage(as it's only a single enclosure vs. two for the twins).
The CS_U will extend a little deeper though...so it's really a tough choice...both options have certain advantages. One note...When I say the CS_U will match the output of twin 20-39s from 20-35hz...I mean the CLEAN output. I'm not talking about a spl dragrace here. If you just wanted to go for max SPLs...the twin 20-39s would have the edge accross the board.
TV

PeteE

Stunt Coordinator
John, I have had both setups and its just like John M said, the CS's will play louder but the single Ultra will go deeper by a little bit. You won't be sorry with either setup, as they both rock.
------------------
Link Removed

mctague

Stunt Coordinator
There is no way I could fit dual anything in the living room....wife-to-be has welcomed my 6 foot fish tank & pioneer elite big screen.....so I can't push my luck. So I'm thrilled to death about the CS-U availability....plus I can double my pleasure later if I do get a dedicated HT in the next house. :)

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>There is no way I could fit dual anything in the living room....wife-to-be has welcomed my 6 foot fish tank & pioneer elite big screen.....so I can't push my luck. So I'm thrilled to death about the CS-U availability....plus I can double my pleasure later if I do get a dedicated HT in the next house.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
I have a request :)
As a happy SVS owner myself, I would like to see SVS offer a subwoofer which can hit OBSCENELY low frequencies with flat response.
Many have seen the SPL 'waterfall' charts on the SVS site, or perhaps other digital SPL/Frequency readouts elsewhere on the web (Mr. Ray does some) ,and these charts clearly illustrate ultra-low bass frequencies sometimes down to the 10Hz range or even lower.
Will we ever see a subwoofer that can actually reproduce those foundation-cracking-frequencies from SVS? I am officially 'requesting' one. :)
I want to feel those 10 Hz waves,
Thanks Tom!
P.S. love my 20-39PC.
[Edited last by Sean Oneil on August 08, 2001 at 01:22 AM]

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Will we ever see a subwoofer that can actually reproduce those foundation-cracking-frequencies from SVS? I am officially 'requesting' one

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Well if someone wants to lend me a ultra I will compare it to my twins.
wink.gif

Love my twins and I like how they look in the corner of my HT room!
------------------
-Mark
**** Digital Vortex ****
The Digital Electronic Site
www.digitalvortex.com

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Tom, It's nice to know that such things are available. I am sure that currently, the cost of one of these (probably huge with multiple drivers) would be out of my reach.
I can imagine what it might look like ...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks