Dual SVS 20-39cs or single Ultra?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_RK, Aug 6, 2001.

1. John_RK

John_RK Extra

Yes, I know it depends on room size, listening preferences, associated equipment, etc. But...
    Has anyone had the opportunity to compare dual 20-39cs vs. a single Ultra? If so, what were your impressions?
    This forum has sold me on SVS, and based on correspondence with Tom V, I'm leaning toward the dual 20-39cs package. But since there's little price difference between that set-up and the single Ultra, I'd be interested if anyone has extended listening experience with both.

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Hi John: I have had extended listening with both the dual 20-39cs and now a single Ultra and I have to admit that the dual cs setup seemed to be a tiny bit louder? Yet, when I consider the SAF of a single sub, I had no other choice. Still, and this may be my imagination, my Ultra is slightly tighter, and more musical than a pair of cs subs. If my memory is accurate, I'd get the single Ultra every time. Yet, when I had the dual cs subs, I already owned more and better bass than I ever owned in my audio snob life!!! I don't think you could go wrong with either choice!!!
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

3. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    John:
    I second what merc says in that I don't think you could wrong with either. If TV is recommending the duals then he has his reasons. I personally have the CS Ultra and in my living room it more than rocks the house.
    Parker

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Twin 20-39cs/S700 will have about the same clean headroom as a single CS_U down to the 20hz range. From maybe 30-35hz and up...the twins will have a couple dB advantage. The CS_U has the footprint advantage(as it's only a single enclosure vs. two for the twins).
    The CS_U will extend a little deeper though...so it's really a tough choice...both options have certain advantages. One note...When I say the CS_U will match the output of twin 20-39s from 20-35hz...I mean the CLEAN output. I'm not talking about a spl dragrace here. If you just wanted to go for max SPLs...the twin 20-39s would have the edge accross the board.
    TV

5. PeteE

PeteE Stunt Coordinator

John, I have had both setups and its just like John M said, the CS's will play louder but the single Ultra will go deeper by a little bit. You won't be sorry with either setup, as they both rock.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

6. mctague

mctague Stunt Coordinator

There is no way I could fit dual anything in the living room....wife-to-be has welcomed my 6 foot fish tank & pioneer elite big screen.....so I can't push my luck. So I'm thrilled to death about the CS-U availability....plus I can double my pleasure later if I do get a dedicated HT in the next house. [​IMG]

7. Tom Vodhanel

>>>There is no way I could fit dual anything in the living room....wife-to-be has welcomed my 6 foot fish tank & pioneer elite big screen.....so I can't push my luck. So I'm thrilled to death about the CS-U availability....plus I can double my pleasure later if I do get a dedicated HT in the next house.

8. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

I have a request [​IMG]
    As a happy SVS owner myself, I would like to see SVS offer a subwoofer which can hit OBSCENELY low frequencies with flat response.
    Many have seen the SPL 'waterfall' charts on the SVS site, or perhaps other digital SPL/Frequency readouts elsewhere on the web (Mr. Ray does some) ,and these charts clearly illustrate ultra-low bass frequencies sometimes down to the 10Hz range or even lower.
    Will we ever see a subwoofer that can actually reproduce those foundation-cracking-frequencies from SVS? I am officially 'requesting' one. [​IMG]
    I want to feel those 10 Hz waves,
    Thanks Tom!
    P.S. love my 20-39PC.
    [Edited last by Sean Oneil on August 08, 2001 at 01:22 AM]

9. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas

10. Tom Vodhanel

>>>Will we ever see a subwoofer that can actually reproduce those foundation-cracking-frequencies from SVS? I am officially 'requesting' one

11. AVspec

AVspec Supporting Actor

Mark
    Well if someone wants to lend me a ultra I will compare it to my twins. [​IMG]
    Love my twins and I like how they look in the corner of my HT room!
    ------------------
    -Mark
    **** Digital Vortex ****
    The Digital Electronic Site
    www.digitalvortex.com

12. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

Tom, It's nice to know that such things are available. I am sure that currently, the cost of one of these (probably huge with multiple drivers) would be out of my reach.
    I can imagine what it might look like ... [​IMG]