What's new

Dual SVS 20-39 PC Plus (1 Viewer)

terence

Supporting Actor
Hi guys,

I’m about to add another 20-39 PC+ and would like to know what too expect and how do you calibrate dual subs?

Also I heard that dual subs work better loaded in the corner instead of separated. All the PB2 + talk got me in the mood to upgrade.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
While co-locating them in a corner loading will certainly give the greatest output, it might not give the smoothest in-room response. That is a big benefit from duals - placement flexibility.

Adding a second co-located sub will give you a 6 dB increase in headroom. Split them up into different locations and you might only see a 3 dB increase in volume, and that's assuming you don't have any phase interaction issues.

If co-locating them, calibrate by running each one about 3 dB cool, so the combined effect when they are both running will be 3 dB hot. Remember to include the fact that the RS meter reads a bit low (maybe 2 dB) on a sub rumble tone, since the meter is C-weighted.

With respect to phase, if they are co-located, keep them at the same setting obviously and pick whatever setting gives the best transition from the mains.

If they are separate, dial in one sub with the mains, and then bring the other on line and adjust its phase such that it provides maximum reinforcement as indicated with the SPL meter. A helper here obviously will make things easier.

If you leave them co-located, you will have even a bit more than a PB2+ can offer in terms of overall extension and output. It will be close down to about 25 Hz, and then below that the lower native tune and the greater internal volume and port area of the duals will start to pull away from the PB2+.

Of course, the performance edge of duals will cost you about $500 overall more than a PB2+ - a case of diminishing returns, but it will be one very impressive set-up!

terence

Supporting Actor
Thx Ed i thought you would chime in, you gave me the info i needed.

the performance edge of duals will cost you about $500 overall more than a PB2+ - a case of diminishing returns, but it will be one very impressive set-up!
I know i have no one in mine who i could sell my sub too, so i said what the hell I always had a thing for twins!

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Hi terence. Your really going to enjoy your new dual set-up. You should find that your bass will have more presence than before even calibrated to the same level as a single sub. Although you have quality bass now, I think you will find that your bass will be the new and improved variety. Less strain, more headroom and cleaner output.

When you calibrate be sure to have the gain on your receiver not set to low, so you can have room to pull your calibration back from your listening position. I guess you would know this but with dual it is possibly? a little more important than with a single sub loaded in the same corner. You might need a little more pull-back room than what your used to? Because of the performance of dual you might find that you will rest on a slightly less calibrated level than what your previous tastes dictated in allot of material also.

Hello Ed. Hope all is well with your PB2+.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
That's good to hear terence. I really think your in for a treat and you would be very hard pressed to find a sub for the cost of your dual (except another SVS offering) that would compare to the performance it will afford you. If you get a chance? I for one would love to see a post of the impression dual 20-29+'s leaves on you?

__________________________________________________ ________

Have you got your fourth 25-31CS+ yet ?
__________________________________________________ ________

No, (not yet, not just yet). Ed I do agree in that it is the hard way to go about it though. I would just like to do it and get it done with. Trickling HT gear in the house is definitely not my way of going about it. WAF is somewhat fine if I bring it in a peace at a time. I do feal very fortunate she has finally conceded the living-room to me though. It doesn't have that formal look as it once did. I am concentrating on upgrading my surrounds and S-B speakers for now and the fourth 25-31cs+ will be next in my sights after that then.

Sure am glad it's Friday. The three movies on my agenda this weekend are (28 days Latter) (City of Ghosts) and (The Hulk) You guys have a great weekend.

O > Another trivia Question for you Ed. Where does that saying come from in the first of my reply to you? (Not yet, not just yet) I know you know!;)

terence

Supporting Actor
I for one would love to see a post of the impression dual 20-29+'s leaves on you?
I will post my thoughts soon after it's up and running. Oh and 28 days Latter along with the Hulk will give your subs a work out.

Also Ed here is another trivia Q. "Father to a murderd son, husband to a murderd wife...I will have my revenge!"

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Steve - I don't recognize your quote.......

Tee - Gladiator - the same as my signature line. How many times have you seen this movie - it never gets boring.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Steve,

Just taking a shot: Fight Club? I only saw the movie once, but for some reason that sounds right.

-Robb

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
How many times have you seen this movie?
__________________________________________________ _________

Ok you found me out Ed! Maybe around a 100 times. Some in part anyway on a weekly basis still. I have a fairly decent collection but I consistently whined up with GLADIATOR in the tray. I'm on a intermission break now from viewing The Hulk and I think when I go back I'll plug in My old stand by GLADIATOR and use the Hulk disk for throwing at the neighbors tom-cat even though it is rented.:eek: OOPS!> I forgot that I have "28 DAYS" to view. GLADIATOR will have to wait but still what a movie... Edit> Whoops! I see the question was directed to terence. Sorry about that terence. The second 1/2 of The Hulk was much better than the first 1/2 also imo. You were right terence.

That was a good effort Rob but no cigar. Your banished back on over to the (Movies) section for a few more months. We'll work with you though.:emoji_thumbsup: GLADIATOR would have been the correct answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks