What's new

Dual SVS 20-39 CS-Plus w/Samson S1000 amplifier vs. Dual SVS 20-39 PC-Plus (1 Viewer)

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
Disregarding the price, which "package" would you prefer and why? Actually, my main question is this: Is a powered subwoofer better or a passive subwoofer with external amplifier?

Secondly, would you prefer to have one of these two "packages" or a single SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier?

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Aside from the PC+ amp taking up a tiny bit of volume inside the enclosure (which will raise the tuning point an insignificant 1 or 2 Hz), the 20-39PC+ and the 20-39CS+ are virtually identical subwoofers in terms of sound, output capability, and extension.

I would call the power comparison a near draw - both pack a solid 500+ watts RMS into 4 ohms - a perfect match for the TC Sounds dB-12 woofer. However, very infrequently (maybe 1% of the time) there is a mismatch between the LFE pre-out signal strength and the Samson S1000, and the amp cannot be driven to its full potential. Enter the SVS01 by Marchand. It can run two subs, has up to 18 dB of signal gain, variable phase control, and adjustable SS filters. I consider the SS filter to be highly important for near reference playback to prevent bottoming of the woofer below the tuning point of the enclosure.

Since you would need to have an external amp, the SVS01 Bass Box, and all the associated interconnects and wiring to duplicate two PC+ with just two sub cables, I personally declare the dual PC+ a winner over the dual CS+ on the grounds of "plug and play" ease and having all essential features "on-board".

As for the CS Ultra - two CS+ or two PC+ co-located in the same corner will outgun a single Ultra across the frequency spectrum by an anverage of 4 dB of max output capability. If I had the room AND if I actually needed the output (that's a big if), I'll take the "twins" over a single Ultra.

Ed

Zack_R

Stunt Coordinator
A thing I considered in opting for passive versus powered is that I could mount the samson in my audio rack where I had access to a wall outlet. Then I only had to run speaker wire to the sub and it made for greater flexibility in placement options in my room.

Tim Schwartz

Agent
I guess I'll ask on this forum also.

If you use the separates approach, do you have to manually power down the amps after each use? Or do they have some sort of sleep mode like the built-in amps? I'm considering a single 20-39 CS Ultra vs. 20-39 PC-Plus.

Does anyone have any idea how one of these would compare to an M&K V-125?

MarcVH

Second Unit
The Samson doesn't have some sort of auto-on, and it draws too much current to be plugged into the convenience outlets on the back of your receiver. Unfortunately, it also lacks a trigger input. Some of us use a clever device from Sears which automatically turns on a couple aux outlets whenever a primary trigger outlet device is turned on. It's intended for, say, a vacuum cleaner for dust collection that turns on with your power saw, but it works to turn your sub amp on along with your receiver as well.

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
just in general, i would probably go for the CS and external amp, because of the upgradability of the whole system then. there are just more options for you later in life.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Just curious, how much will shipping be to the UAE?

Dual 20-39CS Plus/Samson S1000 package w/Marchand Electronics box
$1684 plus S&H

Dual 20-39PC Plus'
$1650 plus S&H

The difference in price is small and I don't think anyone could tell the difference between the two. If you go passive, it'll be a little easier to run speaker wire around your room instead of an RCA cable. Also if you decide later you want to upgrade to Ultra's or some other passive sub, you can still take advantage of the Marchand box.

I've had the 20-39CS Plus and the Ultra(w/TV-12). Output wise, I didn't really notice difference because I was running them in a small room(1100 cu ft). I did notice a significant difference in musical playback, the Ultra was more "musical" to my ear. If you're comparing dual plus subs compared to a single Ultra though, I'd go w/dual plus subs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks