Dual SVS 16-46CS Plus or a Single CS-Ultra?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ConradC, Apr 5, 2002.

1. ConradC

ConradC Extra

Our HT room is 15x20. Will the single CS-Ultra do the job? We are currently living in a townhome. I was thinking of the future when we purchase our house. Should I take the plunge and buy the dual 16-46CD Plus now or buy the single CS-Ultra and wait till we get our house (in 5 years or so) and then buy another CS-Ultra? Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

Go with the dual 16-46cs+'s. The dual cs+ package should be able to outgun a single ultra. 5 years is too long to wait IMHO for that SVS [​IMG] [​IMG] that eveyone is talking about. I have a single 20-39cs+/Samson combo in a 13.5x13.5 room and I have hit 117db on my Rat Shack meter. You should be able to reach Ref levels if you choose with the dual package. Good luck with your decision either way.[​IMG]

3. ConradC

ConradC Extra

Sounds good. Thanks. I was thinking five years is a bit too long also. [​IMG]

4. David Giles

David Giles Stunt Coordinator

I can jump in here, since I've had both. I went from a single Ultra powered by the Samson S700 to dual 16-46CS+'s powered by the S1000. Big step up! Now keep in mind that I wasn't getting the full potential of the Ultra with the 350 watt amp. But the difference would have been pretty small. I have a significant improvement in headroom with the dual CS+'s, and in my small room, reference is quite easy.

I sold the Ultra before the CS+'s got here, so I couldn't do a side-by-side comparison. That being said, I didn't notice any qualitative difference in the sound between what I remember from the Ultra and what I'm getting now with the new CS+'s. They sound fantastic!

Of course, DUAL Ultras would be the ultimate. But who knows what might happen in 5 years. If you can afford the dual CS+'s now, I'd go for it!

David

5. ConradC

ConradC Extra

Thanks. I think I will go with Dual 16-46CS+. 5 years down the road does sound far when I think of it. [​IMG] This should more than fill up our current HT. I belive it will also fill up our future HT also. Thanks alot! [​IMG]