Dual Subs?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by rick_sullivan, Sep 9, 2003.

1. rick_sullivan

About 10 years ago I bought 2 DBX 15 inch subwoofers from DAK surplus in Elay. They had a store in Canoga park that looked like a thrift store with remainders and slightly damaged wares. Some of the oldtimers here may remember DAK's mail order catalogs.

BTW, DBX was an early competitor to Dolby.

Well they had a couple of the 15 inch subs and the price was $50.00 each but the sales guy said I could have 2 for $75.00 so what the hell. I bought only one SAE sub amp/xvr for another $25.00 and wired one channel to each sub and ran that for years. That was 10 years ago. The SAE crapped out. Don't ask! (I set it on the plush carpet behind the speaker vertically with the cooling fins buried in the carpet.)

I recently bought a surplus 250 watt Audiophile Sub Amp and I am happy with the performance.

Ok is there a question here?

Yes. I am using both subs as a speaker stands for my 2 ways but only one is active. Should I buy another amp and run both? Or give it to one of my sons. I've been told the two will couple at 8 to 10 feet. Will my neighbors mind if I do?

I am 63, slightly deaf and listen mostly to string quartets, quiet laid back jazz and Metallica.

2. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

If I'm reading this right, the question to me would be...

"Is one sub enough?"

While listening, if the one seems enough then there is your answer. If not, go for another amp. You can get DIY 250 watt amps for around $100-$120 from Partsexpress.com. Also, it never hurts to have more than you need [​IMG]

3. David_Moechnig

David_Moechnig Stunt Coordinator

4. scott>sau

scott>sau Stunt Coordinator

As a general rule use twice the amount of subs you think you will need. Benefits are less standing waves (if subs placed asymmetrically), more bass you can feel, and better dynamic range.

5. Joel~Solid

Joel~Solid Agent

6. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

What impedence does the subs driver's presents as a load (8 ohms each or 4 ohms each)? The one amp you have might be plenty if you run it in parallel (most sub amps can easily handle a 4 ohm load so they are each 8 ohm this is a piece of cake).

Now whether your neighbor will mind or not depends on how loud you listen to it and if you can turn it up loud enough to drown out their complaints.[​IMG]

7. rick_sullivan

Thanks.

I think I will try paralleling them off the one amp as Robert suggests. One question though. one other listing shows it to be a 4 ohm speaker so paralleling would crank it down to 2 ohms. Is that low for most sub amps?

I have found that there is still a quantity of the drivers being sold. Earthquakesound.com is asking $445.00 for the driver alone so my $37.50 investment was good.

My commments about the music was intended to say that I am eclectic. My sons are a bit embarrassed that I listen to heavy metal at times. Not acting my age I think.

8. scott>sau

If you bridged mono two 4 ohm drivers, they see a 2 ohm load, but the amp sees half of that. Most power amps lose stability into 1, or less ohms.

9. Brad_c_g

Brad_c_g Agent

63 and listens to Metallica!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

Yeah, but he was a mere 43 years young when Kill em All came out!![​IMG]

11. scott>sau

good album, kill em all. puts your subs on a workout.[​IMG]