1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Dual side surround speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Erich S, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Erich S

Erich S Agent

The Denon AVR-4802 allows connecting two pairs of side surrounds. When both pairs A+B are used, do you lose the back speakers or can it really drive nine speakers simultaneously? My room does not work well with dipoles, but will the Denon allow me to experiment with two pairs of monopoles for the sides to get a similar diffuse sound? The room is roughly 15 feet wide by 22 feet deep with 8 foor ceilings and the listener in the center. I am considering the ARV-4802 with one or two pairs of Paradigm Studio/20s for the sides along with a pair in the back.

2. Brian Glaeske

Brian Glaeske Stunt Coordinator

Do it!
    What you described is what the local cinemaplex (hopefully) has. You isn't a dipole to be found in a comercial setting.
    Brian G.

3. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

i HAVE HAD GREAT RESULTS DOING WHAT YOU ARE PRESCIBING WITH DENON RECEIVERS, AND YES THEY WILL STILL DRIVE THE SURROUND BACKS!!!!!TRY WIRING THE TWO SETS OF FRONT FIRING, SIDE MOUNTED SURROUNDS OUT OF PHASE AND YOU MAY FIND THAT YOU GET A VERY DIFFUSE SOUND!I FIND THAT THIS DOES WONDERS FOR LARGE ROOMS THAT I SET UP...GOOD LUCK!

4. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Erich, I posted this same question in regard to my 3802 and was told by several owners that YES it drives all 9 and works well. I haven't tried it yet but may use it someday in a larger room.
    ------------------
    Luke