Dual Processors whats the best way to go?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KyleS, Aug 6, 2002.

1. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

With the P3 processors it wasnt an issue because AMD didnt really have a multiple processor solution but now they do and Intel doesnt unless you go with the slower P3's or a XEON system. So what is the best way to go?

He will be using this system to burn CD's, DVD's, & as a central server in his house. I can get the parts at wholesale pricing since I am a computer reseller but I have not had a lot of experience with the new AMP MP chips. Should I go with them or with a Dual XEON system?

Depending on which solution I choose does anyone have recommendations on a Dual Motherboard for each. I dont need raid or SCSI support on board but if the best board out has 1 or both included then so be it. Come on guys lets hear your recommendations. If possible I would like to keep the motherboard price at or under the $300 mark but if not suggestions are welcome.

KyleS

2. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

I've used the Gigabyte P3/Celeron dual board on a few machines with good results. Haven't built any AMD MP systems yet. Dual Xeons are nice if it will acually be utilized? From the sounds of a few reviews the AMD's a better in many respects anyways.
    Here's one take on AMD MP's vs Xeon's
    http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1514
    Are you looking for a std size board that fits into an ATX case or something more specialized?
    Is this just going to be mainly a file server for a peer to peer network? Will it be a web server? A dual solution is kind of overkill if it's just a file server or router IMO, but if he wants to spend the dough why not I guess.

3. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

He will be using the machine for a little bit of everything from a file server, MP3 server, to routine day to day use. He has a server case and even then most full ATX cases will fit in a Enlight 7237 or larger case they just wont have the cooling room which you would need with the AMD MP processors.

I will take a look at the link you gave Brian.

KyleS

4. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

I'd recommend having a long read around www.2cpu.com They have loads of info about dual CPU systems and some of the software which is optimised to use dual processors.

5. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

ooh - 2 AMD's in one box... Now that's a rig I'd invest the $$$ for a water cooling solution.

6. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

I've built several dual AMD MP 1800 and 1900 computers that run Windows 2000. Generally I just use the Tyan 2460 motherboard. For the graphics software we use, the dual processors certainly make a difference.

As for heat related problems, these systems have been pretty steady with no heat related crashes. I just use the standard heatsink/goo found in the retail box. Since the room these computers are in is pretty cold anyway (below 70F), I don't know if you'd need something more for a hotter environment.