Dual Monitor Output???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith M., Jul 26, 2001.

1. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

Here is what im trying to do... please help me find a solution
    I have a Denon5800 and a Sony 10HT Projector and a small Sony monitor. I want to be able to see the output on both my 10HT screen and the Sony monitor. The Sony monitor only has composite input. And the Denon is outputting 1 S-Video. I cant use the Monitor2 output of the Denon because my main goal is to see the Denon ON SCREEN information on the Sony monitor while the component video is feeding my projector. I can then use the Sony Monitor to cue up video, calibrate denon settings, etc without having to power up projector.
    Hope this makes sense... I thought the SIMA S-Video switcher would work, but i just saw on the description it only converts composite to svideo not vice-versa...
    HELP!!!!!!!!

2. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

Just thought of this... will it work with Denon5800???
    1. Run the S-Video from Monitor2 to the projector, since all i lose is ONSCREEN and probably dont want that on projector anyway
    2. Run a Composite from MONITOR1 to the Sony Monitor. This would show the ONSCREEN stuff on the monitor nothing else, since all my sources are SVIDEO or COMPONENT.
    If someone makes an S-VIDEO to Composite adapter this would solve ALL my problems. I could then just by the SIMA thing and use this adapter. And get DUAL Monitor output...
    I am not willing to change Sony monitor for one w/ SVIDEO because it is a perfect size for the rack and for monitoring.
    All ideas welcomed...

3. fredl

fredl Extra

If picture quality on the small monitor isn't of outmost importance you can either buy or make a simple Y/C to C adapter yourself. I remember seeing a description on how to split the composit into y/c and vice versa using very simple components (I think it was a capacitor). I can't remember where I saw it though, but I'll check my home computer if I still got the plans or an url for them.
    Here they sell such a contraption:
    http://www.svideotorca.com/svideorca.html
    [Edited last by fredl on July 27, 2001 at 04:01 AM]

4. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Since you're not worried about the quality of the composite signal, you can literally combine the two signal leads of the S-Video into one line. Voila! Composite Video.
    You should be able to buy such a cable (S-Video plug on one end, one RCA on the other) at Best Buy or Radio Shack for a few bucks. They often come free with computer video cards that have S-Video outs.
    Todd

5. Robert M

Robert M Agent

Hi Keith:
    I have solved this problem by running the S video (1) to the projector and the composite video (1) to the monitor. I can only pull up the 5800 menu when I switch function rom DVD to something else. In order to set up the DVD on the monitor, I also run a composite directly from the DVD player to the monitor and switch cable at the monitor because I only have one composite input. I not at the house right now to confirm this hook-up but I think this is how I did it, and it works without adaptors while maintaining picture quality at both video sources.
    Bob

6. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

Thanks for all the great ideas.
    Here is what I ended up doing...
    I have ordered the following:
    1. An S-Video to Composite cable ($19.00)
    2. An RCA-to-RF adapter ($1.00)
    I will be running the S-Video from Monitor2 to my projector, It probably has better video quality than Monitor1 output anyways because of the elmination of ONSCREEN display. Of course, I will still be running the DVD component out directly to the projector...
    I will then run the SVIDEO-to-Composite Cable from Monitor1 output to my Monitor composite input. I will also be running my composite out of my CD-Changer to the RF of my Monitor by using the RCA-to-RF. This will allow me to view any of my sources on the monitor including ONSCREEN and also allow me to see my CD-Changer Catalog system on the Monitor without having to buy expensive composite-to-svideo adaptor for cd changer. It will also eliminate the need for a cheap switcher which would definetly deteriorate the video image.
    This should be very useful when wanting to simply play a DVD based concert and only listen to the audio without firing up the projector. I can use monitor to navigate the dvd menus and then sit back and listen...
    I just wish that the Denon ONSCREEN information would blank out the screen, it is sometimes hard to read the ONSCREEN info when it is overlayed ontop of video, Oh well.
    Does all this make sense?? When you look through A/V Interiors magazine, alot of those HT have a Front Projector and 2 or more little monitors, are they using some type of video distribution box?

7. fredl

fredl Extra

When you see those bigscreen with two smaller screens setups they're generally POP monitors (picture outside picture). Great for the die hard sport fans that wants to see his team play and other games at the same time. If you check the equipment list for those installations you find that they most often have more than one dss receiver.
    Also I don't really think that you're CD-player idea will work since to make the conversion from composite to rf you'll need an RF modulator (like the ones built in a VCR). I think the one you ordered is just a passive adapter.
    What you could do is to use a passive composite y-cable to connect both the denon and the cd-changer to the monitor at the same time (you can only have one active at the time though). Better still is to connect the composite from the cd-changer to the denon.
    [Edited last by fredl on July 28, 2001 at 02:17 AM]