What's new

Dual LNB/wiring question (1 Viewer)

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Moderators, if this doesn't seem to fit here please move to the DBS area.
Everybody, please excuse the stupidity of the question
frown.gif

I have a dual LNB dish and two wires running from it. Actually there's a whole bunch of wires coming out of the wall but only two of them are coming from the dish
frown.gif
(I know they should've been clearly marked, but...) I currently only have one receiver hooked up but I was thinking of hooking up a second one. So I decided to find the second LNB wire (or rather check the one I think it is) by plugging it into the receiver instead of the first one. The result — no signal. My question is this — are both LNBs supposed to be easily interchangeable? In other words, does it matter which one I plug in? If the answer is yes, I might have some attic crawling to do
frown.gif

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
doesnt matter which LNB you use, they should be interchangeable. watch out for bats and spidys!
p.s. did you install it yourself?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
As for the other wires, (assuming they are 'F' connectors) - they may be for cable TV. Also, if you just moved there, there may be a sat switcher up there too!
Good luck - and happy hunting
Glenn

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Jeff,
it's a long story. I bought this house when it was building and wanted to pre-wire it but that didn't work out very well as the stucco guys have cut the RG6 cables that were going to the dish. I've also pre-wired the room for an LCD projector but ended up getting CRT and an external doubler, so the installer ran a couple of 5 BNC cables in addition to the component connection that I pre-wired. He then used those component cables to hook up the dish but didn't mark them clearly. In short, it's a mess.
Glenn,
the cable TV wires are sitting safely in their own jack, I haven't even touched them. And there are no switchers in this house, at least not yet.
I guess it's time for a trip to the attic and thanks for your responses!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Dmitry,
I think that your question may be answered with more expertise by the DBS forum. I'm moving it there, please check it out!
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Another question: is it possible at all to combine 2 LNB signals onto one wire similar to the way diplexer works or is there no way around running two wires all the way?

kevin oswald

Agent
The diplexers work by splitting the frequencey into one channel then back to 2 channels.. but all LNBs run on the same frequency range so that will not work. YOu will have to run two wires.. I had to run 2 wires into my house.. actualy 3 if you count cable.. to two different rooms. One 500 dish.. one 300 dish.. two antennas.. and cable.. it's a mess up in my attic hehehe
..Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks