1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Dual lens pickup?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by michael.ong, Oct 14, 2002.

1. michael.ong

michael.ong Extra

Hello all, i was looking for a new dvd player the other day and this salesperson told me not to get the toshiba players (low/mid range models) as they do not have dual lens pick up like other pioneer,jvc,etc,...etc...

Is this true? Does this really matter ? ive heard so much good reviews about toshiba players......

2. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Sony's very first DVD players and a handful of current high-end players used/use paired independent lenses for DVD and CD playback, but these are now quite uncommon. Virtually all current DVD players including those from Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, Pioneer, JVC etc. use a single dual-focus len assembly.

In the past dual lenses were the only way to ensure CD-R compatibility, but most current dual-focus lenses are able to read these discs. I wouldn't worry too much about the lens system a DVD player uses.

Adam

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

This is similar to how Sony has handled its SACD players. The first-generation SCD-1 and SCD-777ES had separates lenses and lasers for SACD and CD, but current models have a dual-focus lens for the two formats.

4. michael.ong

michael.ong Extra

Thanks for the replies! i guess this means its wont matter much no matter which model i go for...ok! cant wait to get my new dvd player (just "donated" my old pioneer dvd player!)

5. Bob Saylor

Bob Saylor Stunt Coordinator

I believe the new Sony 999ES DVD/SACD player has dual lenses.

For what it's worth, those early Sony players ( Model S-7000) were reference players and are still very good players today.