Dual lens pickup?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by michael.ong, Oct 14, 2002.

1. michael.ong

michael.ong Extra

Hello all, i was looking for a new dvd player the other day and this salesperson told me not to get the toshiba players (low/mid range models) as they do not have dual lens pick up like other pioneer,jvc,etc,...etc...

Is this true? Does this really matter ? ive heard so much good reviews about toshiba players......

2. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Sony's very first DVD players and a handful of current high-end players used/use paired independent lenses for DVD and CD playback, but these are now quite uncommon. Virtually all current DVD players including those from Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, Pioneer, JVC etc. use a single dual-focus len assembly.

In the past dual lenses were the only way to ensure CD-R compatibility, but most current dual-focus lenses are able to read these discs. I wouldn't worry too much about the lens system a DVD player uses.

Adam

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

This is similar to how Sony has handled its SACD players. The first-generation SCD-1 and SCD-777ES had separates lenses and lasers for SACD and CD, but current models have a dual-focus lens for the two formats.

4. michael.ong

michael.ong Extra

Thanks for the replies! i guess this means its wont matter much no matter which model i go for...ok! cant wait to get my new dvd player (just "donated" my old pioneer dvd player!)

5. Bob Saylor

Bob Saylor Stunt Coordinator

I believe the new Sony 999ES DVD/SACD player has dual lenses.

For what it's worth, those early Sony players ( Model S-7000) were reference players and are still very good players today.