What's new

Dual Layered DVD's...upgrade? (1 Viewer)

CraigL

Screenwriter
Hey all,

Just out of curiousity...

Does anyone think that when the dual layered recorders come out, we're all going to have to buy totally new recorders? Would it be possible to update the firmware on the existing recorders or is this going to be something totally new? I'd rather not have to buy another one as I love my E80 but...the possibility of recording some of my laserdiscs and other things dual layered makes me all giddy inside. Just curious to see what people think. ;)

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
Dual layer discs are in the + format, not the - format so any -RAM, -R, -RW recorder won't be able to use a dual layer disc. Anyhow, imagine the compatibility troubles that'll follow this. While some players may read it ok, I'll bet there will be many that won't. While it sounds promising, I bet most will be supporting the newer HD formats that'll support both none HD and HD.

I'm not concerned but if for some reason the - camp does follow, my Pioneer DVR-510 might be upgradeable to it, as it is firmware upgradeable through disc.

Have a good one.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Am I reading the Sony press release wrong which is linked in that Yahoo article because it looks like the Sony is DVD+R DL too?

Robert Spalding

Second Unit
nope, initially both camps will have only dual layer in their flavor, but will do + and - in single layer format.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks