What's new

Dual Layer Media Deals (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

I think the problem is there are just so many more single layer burners out there that the sales are not as lucrative an they see Dual Layer as a Niche. My 3550 is capable but there are still way too many compatibility problems even if you bitrate set the disk. I'd rather just use single layer disks and be creative with my use of the 4.56 GB of space. I just bought a Spindle of a 100 verbatims for $27 can't beat that price

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The interesting thing about compatability is, I have had no problem. In fact, the DL discs (+ media) burned on my Pioneer 109 w/ firmware 1.58 and Toast 6.12, which isn't even the current version, play on absolutely everything. And I mean everything. They even play on my Sony player from 1997, which has never played any other burned disc.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
well, out of 30 discs,one package (15) of the Memorex have bit the dust
Anyone have luck getting refunds or more discs as replacments?
Are they really picky?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They have an online claim form. Fill it out and just maybe in several months you might receive a few discs.

I had a spindle of 25 which had 17 defectives. After multiple requests, I received 9 replacements. So, in the end I paid $50 for 17 usable discs.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
More of the same. Best Buy has Verbatim 20 packs for $40 this week.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Interesting reviews. The fact that they are so serverely positive just makes me incredibly suspicious. I know hardware and software tends to be a major source of burning problems, but I use a Mac with the latest OS, a Pioneer 109 with the latest firmware and Toast and I have serious problems with Memorex media, but not a single problem with Verbatim. Those reviews sound like shills if ever I heard them.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
Does anyone know why the DL media hasn't really dropped in price in comparison to SL media? They seem to be on average minimum $2 per disc when on sale (for a reputable brand like Verbatim) and slightly higher when regular price. Has Hollywood lobbied the disc makers because of the piracy issue (an identical copy can be made with no compression loss), or is it just that DL media is more expensive to manufacture?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I doubt the studios have any say over it. Free market. They are certainly more expensive to make, but the lack of price drops would most likely be any of, or some combination of, lack of demand and lack of manufacturers. The discs seems pretty easy to get, so I expect it is lack of demand.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This week Best Buy has 25 pack spindles of Memorex for $40. I just may give them a try. If they give me problems, I will just return them.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, my only spindle of Memorex resulted in 17 coasters (out of 25) so you did a lot better then I did. In the end you're probably right. I wonder if the newer, 4x Ritek DL media is any better then their crappy 2.4x ones, which Memorex sells.

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
From what I've read some have got good results after upgrading their firmware, but their still very poor quality. Their failure rate is still too high.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Anyone try those Playo media from Meritline? I might give them a shot, at least to see what manufacturer they are and if they are any good.

Seymour Uranowitz

Stunt Coordinator
According to the reviews on this site, the Playo DVD-R's are UME01, and the DVD+R's are AML002. :confused:

Edit: Oops, those are single layer. You might have to buy them to find out the dual layer IDs.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, those media codes are a mystery to me as well. Not exactly obvious what they are, though it's obvious they aren't Ritek or something else recognizable. Of course, as far as I know, there are still only 2 manufacturers of DL media (maybe it's three now, if Fuji is making them) so odds are it is Ritek. Odd how Ritek single layer media is so good and the DL is so bad.

Seymour Uranowitz

Stunt Coordinator
Given my aversion to the possibility of getting coasters, I always stick with Verbatim DL's. Never a problem disc, and I've been able to get them for $2 apiece at Best Buy. Not that I'm happy about paying 10 times what good SL's cost, but whaddaya gonna do? :)

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
I have to agree with Seymour. Verbatim are the only brand I use for DL. Anything else at this point isn't worth the headache and frustration.

Seymour Uranowitz

Stunt Coordinator
Amazon has them for the same price, but with a $15 rebate if you buy two 10-packs. Comes out to $1.71 per disc after rebate and A9 discount.

Product link

Rebate link (Exp. 07/15/06)

Edit: The rebate is only valid if you buy through Amazon.com where it's now out of stock. It won't work on purchases made through Amazon Marketplace sellers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks