What's new

Dual Layer Media Deals (1 Viewer)

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
I have a Lite On DVD writer and use Nero to burn the discs. Upgrading memory that's not a bad idea, I'll check into that. Media varies, but I typically stick to TDK or Verbatim when it's on sale

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Usually the first thing to do is check to make sure you have the most recent firmware on your writer. Just be aware, flashing the firmware can be risky, or so they always say, but I've never had a problem. Just restart the computer first and follow the instructions carefully. You should be able to find thhe latest firmware at the LiteOn site, or you can also check rpc1.org. They may also have hacked firmware with various enhancements. It is completely up to you whether or not to install hacked fiirmware.

Curt_B

Agent
I just burnt my first MEMOREX DL on a PLEXTOR 716A burner.

EXCELLENT!

FRED MEYER (Krogers) had: the 3 pak at $11.99
the 25 pack spindle at $49.99

Damn its good to not to have to compress movies!

I just wish the pirce would come down more...

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Re Write times. You can only go as fast as the media and the drive's speed. If your drive can only write at 2x you're not going to write any faster. (however, my new plextor seems to be able to write faster to certain media no matter what that media is rated to)

Check for a firmware update for your drive. It's not that scary to do, just leave the PC alone while it's happening.

And definately get more memory. Check kingston.com. It'll tell you what kind of memory you need. They obviously want you to buy theirs but you don't have to.

-paul

Ron Schildt

Agent
Hey Mike - Are you comparing burning the same amount of data to a DL disk as a single layer? Say like ony 4GB of data? If you dual layer burn is taking twice as long, but you're burning twice as much data, isn't it burning at the same speed as the single layer? Or am I missing something?

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
Ron... no, when I was comparing the 2, that was for full discs of media, meaning a single layer with about 4gb of media usually takes 30 min on my machine, while a DL disc with around 7 to 8gb of media takes about an hour to burn. I have ordered another 512mb of memory which came in and I'll report back if that helps it out any, I did get the latest firmware for my burner though.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
Ok I got the memory stick installed after trial and error of getting it in there, it finally locked down, and now when my computer boots up, it wont recognize a keyboard. what did I break? Yikes.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I can't think of anything one would have anything to do with the other.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
Thanks for the info Gary! I'm going to try DL for the first time. I have no trouble with single layer.;)

Dave Corder

Stunt Coordinator
Best Buy once again has the 10-pack of Verbatim DVD+R dual-layer discs on sale for $19.99 this week (2-5-06 thru 2-11-06).

(If you need single-layer discs, they also have the Fuji DVD-R and DVD+R 50 packs for $14.99 this week; these are good discs if you can find "Made in Japan" packages.)

BTW, what software do you guys use for burning DL discs? Nero and dual-layer discs don't seem to get along very well for me. I might give ImgBurn a try the next time I need to burn a dual-layer disc.

Gary_E

Second Unit

Dave,

I've burned many dual-layer discs with Nero 6 and just upgraded to Nero 7 and haven't had a failure yet. I've only used the Verbatim brand that have been on sale lately.

I burned the first four episodes of 24 (sans commercials) using Ulead VideoStudio 9. The mpeg 2 files were captured and encoded at 6000 mbps VBR. The audio was Dolby Digital 2.0 @ 384 kbps. The 4 episode total was approx. 6.5 gigs.

-Gary

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Prices had been on a plateau for several months. Doesn't it seem they should have gotten lower than this by now?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Best Buy has Verbatim 20 packs for $40.

Aren't prices ever going to go lower?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks