Dual HGS-10s or single HGS-18??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RaziL, Sep 20, 2002.

1. RaziL

RaziL Auditioning

I have already settled on the Velodyne HGS series II subwoofers as a supplement to my NHT 1.5, VT1.4, VS2.4 setup. My question is whether I should go with dual HGS-10s or a single HGS-18? I like the size of the HGS-10 and if I can get close to the same performance with 2 of those vs. 1 HGS-18, I would rather go that route. The cost is about the same and I am not too concerned about the < 20 Hz output that the HGS-18 is capable of. How would the dB output of 2 HGS-10s compare to a single HGS-18? The usage would be about 50/50 music/movies with most of the music being of the electronic variety. Almost no classical and definitely no organ music.
    Thanks
    razi

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

If the HGS series compares to the FSR series(in regards to how each size compares to one another)...it would take about 5 of the HGS10s to equal 1 18" in clean output in the 20-80hz range.

TV

3. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

The crucial question is "how loud do you like to listen?". You might not NEED an HGS-18.
    I had 2 HGS-10s stacked atop one another and it was plenty satisfying in my 3500cu. ft. listening space. I got rid of them for financial reasons and will most likely end up with a single HGS-12 as their replacement. Also, you can always add some type of tactile transducer(Clark Synthesis, Buttkicker, Aura Bass Shakers, etc) to make up for lesser tactile sensation you get with smaller subs. I didn't feel the need for any with the dual HGS-10s, but it would permit one to listen at lower volumes without sacrificing that rumble in the jungle.

4. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

For me I would choose the 18" in a hartbeat. I am 99% HT though. From what I here it does just fine with music though. Many say it does wonderfull with music. SPL and extention are my two big factors. Good luck.

5. Michael Roderiques

Michael Roderiques Stunt Coordinator

Room size will be a factor. so you will need to take that into account. Aslo, what are you looking for in an overall performance.

2 HGS 10's will not equal an HGS 18.

they will play nicley, just not the same as an 18.
    Driver surface areas are not equal, so they don't move the same amount of air.

6. RaziL

RaziL Auditioning

Thanks for all the replies. My living room is pretty large. I would guess about 6000 cu.ft. I am not too concerned about the max decibels though, just clean room filling output at a reasonable volume. What can I expect from 2 HGS-10s vs 1 HGS-10? Do 2 roughly double the output of one? Does that imply a 3dB increase in the volume across the specified frequency range of the HGS-10? I understand that the bottom line is surface area of the drivers, but how much of an impact does amplifier power have? 2 HGS-10s have twice the amp of an HGS-18.
    razi

7. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I notice a 4-6 db increase in volume on a stacked configuration. It depends on the hz and I think it will be different in each room. Like I said I do like spl so I like the two sub approach which enables me to run each sub at 1-3 versus 2-4 on a scale of 10. The HGS 10" needs oodles of AMP to produce in that size of a sealed enclosure not to mention the driver.When I moved up to a 15" driver I really noticed it big time. "I feel it as much as I here it"- That is a little over stated but very close. Now that I have two Velo ct-cht 15"s stacked I have plenty of sub. It sounds like you would be happy with two Velo 10"s. I think they would fill your room up just fine and do a good job for you. But if you were into spl you surly would want to go with the 18". With the level of LFE they are putting in DVDs nowadays I think part of the equation needs to be, "can this sub-theese subs handle the stress". Running two 10"s would enable you to put less of a demand on them and at the same time get more.

8. Michael Roderiques

Using 2 HGS10 units, with a corner placement will see around a maximum of 6-7 db gain in output.

For a 6000 cubic foot room, I would put 2 HGS-18's. One will work nicely, but 2 would thunder quite well. Nice solid bass response.

See 2 10 drivers does not make one 20 driver, it makes 2 10 drivers. Its a physics thing. Surface area is the key element more surface area moves more air. 1 does not add to the other, it compliments or reinforces the first.

9. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Razil,

If you live in a house, I wouldn't do the duo HGS-10s...just not enough oomph. If you live in an apartment or condo, you'll probably get "acceptable" levels of bass....but certainly not enough to really shake anything. Once again, it depends on how loud you like your bass. Also, I don't think the benefit of the 2 HGS-10s is enough of an advantage over a single HGS-12 to merit the price difference. Finally, the size of a 12 is double that of an HGS-10.

10. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Randy,

I see you're up late! Wait a second, I'm an hour ahead of you!

11. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

And here I keep thinking that if I were married like you, I'd have better things to do this late in the evening. So much for the institution.

12. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

From looking at your post closer I see you said "get close to the same performance" Answer-no. Two 10"s would have a advantage over one 10" and the one 18" would have a big advantage over the two 10"s and you would benefit from running at a lower level.

13. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Another issue besides the cone Sd is the enclosure volume. Just guessing here...but both HGS10s combined might only have 1.5-2 cu-ft effective enclosure volume? The single 18 will likely have 3.5 or so?(about double).
    So not only will the 18" cone move a lot more air with each *sweep*...it will almost assuredly have an inherent sensitivity advantage.(playing louder with less amplifier power needed).
    That Michael guys seems to know a lot about the Vels for some reason though...so just listen to him [​IMG]
    TV

14. Michael Roderiques

Tom

The HGS-10 box is like .9 Cu-ft and the HGS-18 is closer to 4.25 Cu-ft.

The HGS-10 has less internal volume than the sunfire.

15. Will Gatlin Jr

Will Gatlin Jr Stunt Coordinator

I'm the owner of an HGS-18 with NHT VT-2's (front/rear), and NHT Super Two Towers for my side spks. I also use a Velo VA-1012II for my rear fill that fires acroos (R to L) the rear portion of my room. The HGS-18 is in the left front part of my room. All spks are run large. Very nice bass with a great bottom end.

16. John H

John H Second Unit