Dual Format DVDs - What Gives?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by WillG, Jul 10, 2003.

1. WillG

WillG Producer

I'm sure people have noticed this already but I have noticed on may Dual format discs (WS & P&S) that there are many, especially by Fox and Warner (when they used to do dual format) that the WS version is relegated to Side B. I know that sounds trival, but I think it says something. Why WS on side B? Unless of course, the studios figure J6P too dumb to figure out how to flip the disc and figure that OAR enthusiasts are savvy enough to figure it out. It looks like the OAR version is an afterthought by the studios. Any thoughts?

2. Dan Shogren

Dan Shogren Stunt Coordinator

The studios probably think Mr. Average Joe Consumer has an IQ of 20 and prefers the fullscreen version of a movie, and the widesceen is added so that Mr. HT ENTHUSIAST doesnt complain and petition the studio. So yeah, its an afterthought added later by the studios to insure that nobody gets pissed at them.

3. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Side B, Side A, Side 1, Side 2, Disc A, Disc B, Disc One, Disc Two

Don't care where they put it...so long as either a letterbox or 16x9 version is included.

By the way...Warner Home Video, New Line Home Entertainment, and MGM Home Entertainment have the widescreen version on the "A" side and the modified version on the "B" side.

Oh, and some discs are not even labeled either.

4. Dan Shogren

Dan Shogren Stunt Coordinator

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    A lot of people, even here, rather have both versions in one package.

Either way, one of those sides/layers is going unused depending on who owns the disc.

6. WillG

WillG Producer

I agree that dual version pacakages are the right way to go if it is at all possible as well

7. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    I hate dual version packages if extra features are being sacrificed as a result of that (Phone Booth being a point in case).

Chris

8. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

While Special Features are nice, it's the movie that counts. As long as I'm still able to watch the film in OAR, I'll deal without some stupid HBO First Look fluff.

9. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    I couldn't care less about the HBO fluff myself. Apparently the documentary on the R2 of Phone Booth is anything but fluff (according to a member of this forum), and if it gets sacrificed just so that they can include a P&S version of the film in the same package, I'm definitely not happy about it. They should have gone DVD-18.

Chris

10. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Yeah I noticed that on Phonebooth the the Widescreen gets relegated to Side 2. I don't really care as long as it's there.

11. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

"Just Married" not only has the widescreen version on side 2, but side 2 itself has NO printed label whatsoever! Now I'm usually the last to complain about things like that, but come on now!

12. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Then, too, WHY is it even necessary at all to print "Side A" or "Side B" on a dual-sided disc? Why not just print "Widescreen" on one side and "Full Frame" on the other? No need for a "1", "2", "A", or "B". I think I have many discs like this, with no A/B listing.

On discs that do not feature a "Side A" notation on the disc's inner ring, it might be kind of interesting to note, however, what side is facing UP when you first open the case. Is it usually the Widescreen side staring back at the consumer when the package is initially cracked open? Or is it the FF side?

The Game is an example of a two-sided disc without a "Side A/B" listing. It says "Widescreen" on one side; "Standard" on the other.

But doesn't the term "Standard" bug some of you guys too? In DVD terms, "Standard" has come to mean "Full Frame/Full Screen". By using that word on DVDs, it kind of sounds like it's somehow better than it's WS counterpart, by inferring (probably in some uneducated people's eyeballs) that the Widescreen version is somehow "Sub-standard" to the "Standard" variant.

They should just label the sides "The Right Side To Watch YOU MORON!!" and "This Side Blows!!" [​IMG]

Or they could label them "As Seen In Theaters" and "As Seen By Individuals Who Wish To View Only 55%-60% Of The Film". [​IMG]

13. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Concerning this word "Standard", it's kind of interesting to note what Merriam-Webster's Dictionary has to say about that word ........

"Standard":

>> "Constituting or conforming to a standard, esp. as established by law or custom."

>> "Having recognized and permanent value."

>> "...Widely recognized as acceptable."

>> "STANDARD, CRITERION, GAUGE, YARDSTICK, TOUCHSTONE mean a means of determining what a thing should be.

>> "STANDARD applies to any definite rule, principle, or measure established by authority."

And this one is laughable when using the word in DVD terms......

>> "Something established by authority, custom, or general consent as a model or example: CRITERION."

[​IMG] Criterion = Standard. In DVD terms, that would mean Criterion=Full Frame/P&S. Hardly! [​IMG]

A lot of people not familiar in the slightest with DVD formats and ratios will probably glance at the "Standard" side and say to themselves: "Why of course I'll choose the Standard side. Why would anybody want to watch the non-standard version, when a more conventional and better "Standard" version is supplied?!"

I vote for the studios to abolish the word "Standard" on DVD packaging!

Because, in all HTF'ers minds I'm sure, the "Standard" for all DVDs is the WIDESCREEN version, always!

WS sets the DVD "standard" to be sure.

If the DVD makers and the studios want to use the word "Standard" to describe FF/P&S ratios, then I say we demand that the opposite side should therefore read: "Deluxe Widescreen Version"! That'd make Joe Schmoe, who's staring at his first ever digital disc, think twice about choosing that glorious "Standard" side. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I like the way MGM handled The Fog and other titles, they used a DVD-14 with the widescreen version and all the extras on the dual layer side and on the single layer side they put the Pan and Scan version with a minimum of extras...they seemed to be making a statement on the whole WS vs. P&S argument until Remo, but that is another discussion.

15. WillG

WillG Producer

"Just Married" not only has the widescreen version on side 2, but side 2 itself has NO printed label whatsoever! Now I'm usually the last to complain about things like that, but come on now!"

Phone booth is the same way. Is Just Married by Fox as well?
    For a studio that says they are "Committed" to OAR on DVD, they sure seem to be treating it as the red-headed stepchild on the dual format DVDs

16. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Yep, it's Fox- The side 1 label says "SIDE A: FULL SCREEN - SIDE B (FLIPSIDE): WIDESCREEN", with nothing whatsoever printed on side 2, making it look like a bootleg disc! To make it even more confusing the insert lists Side A as Widescreen Format and Side B as Full Screen Format.
    What about just using the terms "Theatrical Release Format" and "Modified to Fit Your Screen"?

17. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

You know what I'm worried about? Those of us who to stay with DVD and may have to wait a couple of years to purchase HD-DVD will get the short end of the OAR stick. Think about it, right now they might only be issuing widescreen at all just for us enthusiasts and when they make a format specifically engineered for us (I know DVD was supposed to be that way too but you know what I mean) they'll only have Joe Six Pack to cater to.

18. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

19. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I prefer "This film has not been modified from its original version. It has not been formatted to fit your screen." [​IMG]

20. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer